Snap precision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap precision

This is probably a post for the max forum, but you guys are much smarter I am not getting very good precision with my MAX 9 snaps. I am using my vertext snaps, but it is snapping away from the vertex, which is causing my VRAY to have light leaks. I have to zoom way in to see it, but when I am zoomed in everything has a space. I can't edit the vertex and move it, becasue it snaps away from my object. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Make sure your snaps are set to 2.5. Makes it a lot easier.

Comment

check your scene origin.
      group all objects and move them to 0,0.
      when importing dwg's, often the origin is so far away from the center that all viewport precision is lost. also check your system and user units. don't use mm as system unit if you're scene is a huge airport, and vice versa.
      and delete those zero-geometry block objects and other dwg junk.
      Marc Lorenz
      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
      www.marclorenz.com
      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

This is one of the main reasons we have always done modelling in AutoCAD.
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        ----------------------------------->
        http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Originally posted by tricky
          wont help you when rendering a 10kmx10km scene in max if the max system units are set to mm (you get problems because floating point numbers are limited in size and you will have rounding errors that can accumulate to very nasty effects)

Comment

Originally posted by tricky
            this also hapens in autocad
            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
            nuno@ene-digital.com
            00351 917593145

Comment

Never had the issue here in AutoCAD in all the years we've been using it. Odd.
              Kind Regards,
              Richard Birket
              http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

well i didn t say i had, but it can happen...

besides i m sure i avoid many other problems with imported geometry by modeling in max, and never had snap precision problems!
                Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                nuno@ene-digital.com
                00351 917593145

Comment

same over here, snaps have gotten a lot better with max8

Comment

Try unchecking the "Obey Axis Constrants" button which is handy for moving a vert (or whatever) to only the x, y, or z of a snap point. This could be causing your problem. If you are trying to move the vert in x and y, for instance, and you have your axis constraints set to only x, then you will need to toggle the "Obey Axis Constrants" button off.

With this toggle off, try turning snaps off, start moving the vert by the plane handle gizmo then turing snaps on. This sometimes helps snap directly from one vert to another. otherwise sometimes it snaps from the actual point i clicked on the gizmo and snaps that point to the vert. This results in the two verts separated by the distance between my pick point and the vert... that is a bad description... it's hard to describe in words without domonstrating it visually.

I'm sorry that i can't give a screen cap. I'm on holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by jonahhawk
                      With this toggle off, try turning snaps off, start moving the vert by the plane handle gizmo then turing snaps on. This sometimes helps snap directly from one vert to another. otherwise sometimes it snaps from the actual point i clicked on the gizmo and snaps that point to the vert. This results in the two verts separated by the distance between my pick point and the vert... that is a bad description... it's hard to describe in words without domonstrating it visually.

I'm sorry that i can't give a screen cap. I'm on holiday.
                      in my experience this exact problem was fixed or at least improved upon in max8
                      if you come within a certain (customizable) on-screen distance of a vertex and vertex snap is on, this very vertex gets used as the snap origin - even if it isnt the one you have selected
                      so if you want to just move the selected vertex, make sure to use the right one as reference

Comment

I recently had this happen in max 8. I think glorybound was using max9, so upgrading may not help. I have only seen autoCAD precision problems occur due to user error.

Comment

snap

yep, I am using MAX 9. I am having a whole lot of issues with MAX 9
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com
                          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by voltron7
                            I have only seen autoCAD precision problems occur due to user error.
                            I have only seen max precision problems occur due to user error.
                            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                            nuno@ene-digital.com
                            00351 917593145

Comment

Originally posted by ene.xis
                              Originally posted by voltron7
                              I have only seen autoCAD precision problems occur due to user error.
                              I have only seen max precision problems occur due to user error.
                              i was just about to say that
                              Marc Lorenz
                              ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                              www.marclorenz.com
                              www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Working...
                              X