AMD Quad 4x4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Quad 4x4 Released

AMDs salvo to the Intel QX6700 (Quad Core) has been released. It's a dual socket AM2 motherboard which allows for two dual-core FX AMD chips. It will be upgradeable to the Quad-core chips which will be released in mid-2007.

According to the preliminary results from the article below, Intel still beats AMD with their QX6700:

http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...?articleid=911
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

i thought dual and even quad chip mobos with dualcore support were out a while back

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

They have been, the big thing about AMD's new platform is that is use there new tech and will be upgradeable to the first Quad core CPU's

Regardless of the overall speed tests, AMD's 4x4 system multitasks much better than Intel’s. I was able to play around with a 4x4 system at Nvidia not to long ago, and had 3Ds Max 8 rendering on 2 cores, playing FEAR in window mode and WoW on screen along with surfing the web and compiling a video in Premiere... how many desktops can say they can do that now days without crumbling to their knees?

My Dual Xeons choke when just rendering let alone running 2 instances of Max while rendering....

You will be bale to work with huge PS files, while rendering and working on a new Max scene with these bad boys. For the Max 1 box wonders who don't own a farm this will be huge for them as packages start at just under $899 for 2 CPU's and a mobo.
      Thanks
      Mathew Everett
      http://www.lappymats.com

Phillipians 4:13
      "I can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me."

Comment

Well. single application benches haven't been as good as the Intel Quads according to that article. And as for playing around - have you played around with Intel Quads next to a 4x4 rig? I wonder how they stack up next to each other from a multitaskers standpoint.

The other thing you have to worry about is RAM. Previously, I've read that the 4x4 would run max 4 gigs of memory.

Comment

With the price of two fx74 (2x$999?) plus a $300 mB being almost $1000 more than a qx6700+MB, I think I'd stick with the faster intel part.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

You shouldn't compare these two platforms. AMD positions their 4x4 conception for inthusiasts only. It's not their "conroe answer". K8L would be first AMD CPU, that can beat conroe. So, for now only 4x4 can do at least smth.
            Wait for the reworked K8 (K8L)
            I just can't seem to trust myself
            So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
            ---------------------------------------------------------
            CG Artist

Comment

I guess Enthusiasts = poor confused AMD fanbois heh
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

sounds like your an intel slave eric
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

He Inthusiast = intel fUn
                  I just can't seem to trust myself
                  So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                  ---------------------------------------------------------
                  CG Artist

Comment

nah, I'm a power per $ slave, I bought an X2 when it was the best value and own more AMD systems at the moment than intel but I am itching to add a qx to the stable
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

Ah well - other than Vray, I have no loyalty. It comes down to who makes the best product and right now Intel is winning.

Comment

Working...
                      X