Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compositing 101

Hi all,

Been using vray for a while now but only recently started to make use of the render elements in 1.5. Many of these I've found to be extremely useful but I am really scrabbling around in the dark to a great extent, simply because everything I do is trial and error (more error that trial to be honest).

Whilst I'm a great fan of learning from experience I would like to know if there is anything (book, DVD etc) I should have to hand for properly compositing still images using render passes in Photoshop. There seem to be a number of publications on compositing, but I don't want something that is not relevant to the tools I have.

There are some elements that I simply don't understand, and some I understand, but don't know how to utalise in Photoshop.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Trev

The really broad rule is that pretty much anything that adds light such as specular, reflection or a diffuse pass gets screened or added on. Anything that takes light away like a shadow or vray dirt pass gets multiplied.

Comment

Thanks..............a good start.

Now specular is something I don't understand. I often read posts about using fall of maps and specular maps but have no clues as to their uses.

I'm sure this is one of only a mountain of things, but I need to start somewhere.

Trev

Comment

i would do some googling for good lighting and compositing books and dvds. Its a huge field with alot to digest.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
        X