Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32bit+64bit mixed config

I'm on the way to purchase a new workstation, like many of us
    I usually use xp 32 with 2Gb RAM, viz 2005, vray rc3 32bit, the new one will be (at the moment) xp64 with 4Gb RAM, viz 2005, vray rc3 32bit.
    Are there any know issues in using such mixed versions of software, I mean using backburner or DR or whatever? As an example, will I be able to launch a night render from xp64 to xp32 or the inverse?
    Anyone knows something about a 64bit release of viz?

thanx in advance

a.
    Alessandro

Unless they changed this as of the last backburner sp (I don't recall reading that it has been changed), you cannot send 32 bit max renders to 64 bit max via backburner or visa versa. You can however, run 32 bit max and 64 bit max on the same machine, so you can have all your 64bit machines running 64bit when you need it and 32 bit when you don't.

And on a strange side note, you can open 32bit files in 64bit version and render just fine...so I am not real sure why backburner gives this issue.

Comment

With Frantic's deadline, you can send jobs to a mixed renderfarm, if you have only one rendernode, you can try it in free mode, look at: http://software.franticfilms.com/ind...dline/freemode

Comment

thanx for your answers, but...
        ... in my actual conditions it is only hardware stuff that will begin migration towards 64bit, I mean, 'till viz 64bit release, I have 1 old machine 32bit and a new one 64 bit, software stuff still remains all 32 bit, so...my doubts are the following:
        1- will I be able to break to limit of 1.6 Gb for process, I understand that is an operatin system issue
        1-backburner will send from a 32 bit machine to 64 bit but the software remains the same (viz 2005+ vray rc3 32) or vice-versa, does it work?

PS I never thought about another render management tool but this Deadline seems very interesting, I will give it a look, thanx for your suggestion.

thanx

a.
        Alessandro

Comment

if you have 32 bits max on the 64bits machine, you will be able to render as normal..

Comment

I wouldn't mix 32 and 64 bit vrays in same job due to fact that results of these two versions are different and it will cause flickering.

Comment

Originally posted by renni
              I wouldn't mix 32 and 64 bit vrays in same job due to fact that results of these two versions are different and it will cause flickering.
              Is this true with saved imaps?
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

is it possible to have one workstation machine running xp64 with Max9 64bit and Vray 64bit, but have a render farm which is mostly comprised of 32bit systems? I.e. xp32bit + Max 9 32 bit / Vray 32 bit etc.?

What are the problems with working in a 64bit enviornment, but sending net renders to 32 bit systems? (Apart from the obvious memory issues with the 32bit systems, is it technically possible?)

Comment

you cant render a job saved in 64 bit max and have it render on 32 bit nodes. the work around is to install max 9 64 bit and 32 bit on the same pc. when you are ready to render, send the job from 32 bit max. i didn't know there were issues between vray 32bit and 64bit...i haven't noticed any flickering...yet.
                  -joe
                  www.boxxtech.com

Comment

and there are no issues doing this?

- apart from obviously not creating scenes that are so complex they won't load into memory on the 32 bit version of Max 9? Just keep using proxies etc. when the files start getting larger and larger....?

Comment

So are you saying that if we install both 32 and 64bit executables on all render nodes, that whatever format job is sent to them, the appropriate executable will be launched and all is good?

Comment

Originally posted by MegaPixel
                        So are you saying that if we install both 32 and 64bit executables on all render nodes, that whatever format job is sent to them, the appropriate executable will be launched and all is good?
                        If all your render nodes are 64bit compatable, yes that will work. But if that is the case, why not simply run 64bit thoughout?

Comment

Originally posted by charleyc
                          If all your render nodes are 64bit compatable, yes that will work. But if that is the case, why not simply run 64bit thoughout?
                          You make a valid point however there are multiple people on our marketing team, some of which will still be working on 32bit systems so inevatably, mixed render jobs will end up being sent out.

Comment

Working...
                          X