Autodesk subscription scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autodesk subscription scandal

We have licenses of Max and licenses of ADT. We joined the subscription program 2 or 3 years ago when it was introduced.

Due mainly to our own busy schedules and the company who sold us the software not chasing us for renewal payments, our subscriptions lapsed last October.

We decided we should get on top of this and went to a new supplier to renew the subscriptions. We were charged late renewal fees because we had let the service lapse. However, when the confirmations have come through, Autodesk have backdated our subscriptions to October last year!

Now this does not seem right to me: we have already been penalized by the late renewal fees, but we are being penalized again by the subscriptions being backdated. This is aside from the fact that we could not have had updates during the period where we had no cover anyway.

Does this seem right to you guys?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Sorry for the 'scandal' heder, but I am rather annoyed right now. I am sure I will calm down after a beer or two.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket

Comment

Doesn't seem right to me. Either they tack on the late renewal fee and start your subscritption now or waive the late renewal fee and backdate the start date. Either one seems relatively fair but both is just a stick in the eye. I'd press it with your reseller.
      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Subscription

I don't know, it is kinda like automotive license plates. You can have a car in storage for 10 years and once you go get plates you have to buy plates for every year until you are current.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

And credit card companies. If you are late paying your bill, they charge you a crazy fee, and you get nothing to show for it. Its just a corporation's way of sticking it to you.
          Tim Nelson
          timnelson3d.com

Comment

Subscribe

probably pretty typical too.... I am sure other vendors are doing the same for other applications.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Re: Subscribe

Originally posted by glorybound
              probably pretty typical too.... I am sure other vendors are doing the same for other applications.
              That doesn't make it right .
              And credit card companies. If you are late paying your bill, they charge you a crazy fee, and you get nothing to show for it. Its just a corporation's way of sticking it to you.
              You do have something to show for it, the cash in your pocket since you haven't paid your bill (or at least you paid it later than you would have). But unlike the credit card, tricky got nothing for his extra fee since he didn't get any updates during this time.
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

If they didn't backdate and didn't charge a renewal fee, then people would just conveniently 'forget' to renew their subscriptions until just before the new version was available in order to get the upgrade at a discounted price.

This is just their method of ensuring the subscription system isn't abused.

Comment

subscription

or pick and chose when they want to subscribe.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Dynedain
                    If they didn't backdate and didn't charge a renewal fee, then people would just conveniently 'forget' to renew their subscriptions until just before the new version was available in order to get the upgrade at a discounted price.

This is just their method of ensuring the subscription system isn't abused.
                    But why not just have the late renewal fee be the penalty for failing to renew and use that to discourage people from "forgeting" to renew their subs. For example, say the subscription cost is $495 per year and someone let's it lapse for about a year. When they go to renew though they should have to pay a penalty of about $495 and purchase a new subscription for $495, but their new subscription start date should be the date they purchased the new subscription. Autodesk could even raise the penalty fee to discourage waiting since in the above scenario it's pretty much equal in price to the normal subscription schedule. Of course, Autodesk is free to set it up any way they want but it is pretty crappy of them to do it this way IMO.

Comment

subscription

Good point. I know the Revit subscription is mandatory. They come out with 2 releases a year. I think we pay $800 per subscription.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

seems right to me, you pay a penalty and are back where you should have been, what's amiss with that?

hmm, need to check when mine is going to run out...
                        Eric Boer
                        Dev

Comment

I guess it depends on how much the late fee is and how long they'll let you do this before they say your subscription has expired and you need to purchase a new release of max.

Comment

If the late fees and renewal fees were more than the cost of standard upgrades with subscription, then I'd complain. Because basically your subscriptions had expired. Obviously your software versions were still upgradeable regardless.
                            Surreal Structures
                            http://surrealstructures.com/blog

Comment

seems right to me, you pay a penalty and are back where you should have been, what's amiss with that?
                              Can't believe this response. This is a software company at the end of the day. They want us to be happy with their products and with them as a company in an effort to keep us as customers. I think you may be missing the point - we have basically been kicked in the goolies AND poked in the eye where one would have surficed.

Err, no. It doesn't matter when a user renews if their subscriptions are backdated anyway. If I didn't subscribe for 2 years and then Max 13 came out, I would be expected to bay the previous 2 years subscription. This is fair and logical.

Can't think of any. Autodesk are turning into a new Microsoft or Ipod IMHO, steamrolling there way through the industry they way the have done.
                              Kind Regards,
                              Richard Birket

Comment

Working...
                              X