units conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• units conversion question

I did a search first, but after too long reading without answer I decided to just ask...
    So, is there a preferred method for scaling geometry that was created in differnt units than the current scene?

I.E. My scene's are always inches for units but sometimes I get a model (.3ds or .max) that was created in cm or meters. Obviously when I bring it into my scene it's usually gigantic. So is there a known factor I can scale it by because i don't lke the idea of "eyeballing it." is this the wrong approach altogether?

Thanks a lot!
    JR

well what works is setting the units to the source units, merge it and set them back...at least i think it does.

Other then that it is pretty easy to google up conversion factors (google even allows direct conversion from the search input). inches is x2.54 for example.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

Thanks Thorsten, I'll try out your suggestion.
      JR

Comment

I use "Rescale World Units" under "Utilities", but I guess you already know about that function.

Comment

Hmmm, I did not know about this function, what does it do exactly, or should I look up in max hellp file? Usually I creat all my geometry so unit conversion is not an issue, but occasionally i need to import geometry from elsewhere and I run into this issue. Thank you

Comment

What it does is that it scales your selected objects, or your scene, to a new wanted scale. If your for example has a table that is 9 cm high, you just type in the value 10 in "Rescale World Units", and then your table will be 90 cm high instead.
            It´s a quite simple feature so it´s not much more to explain.

Comment

Nice! Thank you, I'm embarrassed to not have know this tool yet...

Comment

I think people tends to discover this function when they are working in teams or when they import others peoples models.

Comment

Well, thank you again, this will be very helpfull in those times!

Comment

Working...
                  X