Posting work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting work

Ok, I have to fess up with a little repentance here. I have been working for architectural firms as the in-house architectural illustrator for 20 years now. I am wishing to go solo this year and built a site and I began marketing it with pretty good search engines rankings. I can't post the work I have done for the firms I have worked for because the work belongs to them (I think) so I posted the little work I have done on the side over the years and a couple I grabbed off the internet, which I know is so wrong so they are now down after getting caught. So I am apologizing for the lapse of judgment and would also like to know what else I can do to show work I have done while employed by architects. The work I have posted here is work I am currently doing for my current employer, which again I don't think I can post as my own.

What would you do? Show the work anyway? I have done 100% of all the work I have ever done so it is mine.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

you say you grabbed work off the internet that wasn't yours and called it your own? Did I hear that correctly? If you did alot of work in the past for an employer and are looking to leave and strike out on your own, then who cares what they think. Show your work.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Work

Yep, I did the unmentionable and used an image that wasn't mine.

I could post my work and block my domain from my current employers IP via htaccess, but I am not sure how real going solo is. We do most of the big names stuff in the area so if a competitor sees a site rendering of a local project on my site I am sure it'll make it's way back to my office. I guess getting fired would propel my solo venture.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

whats wrong with posting an image you created and including that your current employer owns the image. Free advertising for them

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

i am speechless...
          Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
          nuno@ene-digital.com
          00351 917593145

Comment

Originally posted by ene.xis
            i am speechless...
            At least he admitted his wrongdoing. More then I can say for alot of people who steal others work. I give him props for admitting it like a man. He hopefully learned his lesson and moved on.

Comment

Work

The only thing I can do is apologize or in my case repent, which is apologize and turn from my wrong ways!
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Claiming credit for someone else' work is far worse than including work you did for your former employer.

First, you should ask your former employer if you can use the work you did there in your portfolio. Usually this is considered accepted practice in architecture. The only caveat is that you will probably need to credit them, which could mean simply placing their logo on the image or a credit line saying that it is their project. We do this all the time.

Comment

Work

I think I'll post my current and past employers work with credit to them and see what happens. Does anybody else have a similar issue?

In hindsight posting another artist work is far worse and shouldn't have been done. The image I posted was posted because it was similar to a project I was bidding on.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Re: Work

Originally posted by glorybound
                    I think I'll post my current and past employers work with credit to them and see what happens. Does anybody else have a similar issue?
                    I wouldn't post, and then wait to see what happens. I'd rather contact them, if you're no longer working for them, and ask before posting actually.
                    as dynedain says, usually this is not an issue. once you and your employer (or former employer) agree on what you can use in your portfolio and how, there shouldn't be any problem whatsoever. it really happens all the time.

publishing the work without telling and blocking ips, doesn't sound like a great idea to me. people tend to get really pissed off by this kind of things.

Comment

Work

I have been using VRAY for the last year and I have been here since then so my best work is the work I have completed during the past year. I don't think I would show much stuff that isn't vray anymore.

I went to lunch and though a little more. I think I'll take a different approach and post a personal portfolio apposed to a company site. When and if I do go solo I can re-think my things.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hmm, my advice when you are going solo, Beg, steal, borrow and cheat its a jungle out there, Only messing , ok so you've seen the error of your ways, whats done is done. Forget the early stuff you'ver been doing and concentrate on a handful of decent images interior and exterior (all your own of course), better to leave potential clients impressed by showing 5 or so sh1t hot images, and just package it a "small sample" of your work, once impressed they wont ask for more.
                        Regarding the work you did for a practice, hell yeah show it, just be honest, you might'nt have designed it but you visualised it.
                        Good luck man,

Tom
                        Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

Work

Thanks for the support!
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

actually i dont see anything wrong with posting work which was done while working for another employee as long as all of the proper credit is given. A description of what you did on the project as well as the company it was done for. Naturally when i leave any company i work for i ask them for use of selected pieces for my portfolio. This however is usually not a good idea if your leaving on bad terms. I walked away from my the place i used to work for with a full portfolio of my work done there. Doesnt matter now anyhow since they had to close down 3 months after i left them. (seemed the clients didnt want to work with my replacements)

---------------------------------------------------
                            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
                              actually i dont see anything wrong with posting work which was done while working for another employee as long as all of the proper credit is given
                              Well, you have to check to make sure. If you did the work as part of your job while employed by them, you don't own the copyright on the work, they do. So any rights regarding copying/distribution (including print and web use) belong to them. You can get into legal hot water for redistributing the imagery without their consent.

Also, they may have been under some kind of contract, such as a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) that prevents them from displaying or revealing the work to outside entities. If that is the case, you can get in trouble for posting the work.

Comment

Working...
                              X