e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I was nearly dragged into a lawsuit over a couple images I used on my site that I had created while employed by a firm. I had left on very good terms, with an invitation that if I ever wanted to, I could come back. I had chosen 2 images that I had done 100% of the work on, I clearly gave their credit on the images and I chose images that were done as specs and had not even been given to any client. To top it all off, I had these images on my site (with their knowledge) prior to me quitting. As it turns out, and as Dynedain said, while employed, anything you create on their equipment technically can belong to them. About 3 or so months after I left, they got it in them to 'protect' all their assets. I was immediately asked to remove the images and then received a sepoena stating (among other things) that they would go after any profit they felt I made while those images were on my site. It was actually under a very bazaar and rather sad turn of events that I got out of the lawsuit. The person at the company heading up the suit was killed in a rollover accident in Mexico just a week or so after I received the sepoena. I never heard another thing about it. But you can be sure that I don't use any of their images anymore.

So, be careful what you decide to use as it can come back and hurt you.

Comment

bobby,
        its a shame you resorted to taking an image that wasn't yours. i am wondering how long could it take to put together a simple house of your own design that shows off your skills? 20-30 hours at the most? you should have considered that before you did what you did. this is why i think its a good idea for everyone to create their own personal artwork on a regular basis. with personal artwork you are not bound by any guidlines from the client that tend to restrict ones creativeness. you can do whatever you want and with as much detail as you want. the work in my personal portfolio tens to look better than the work i do professionally. and i think you would want to have some really schnazzy, photo real images in your new gallery to set yourself apart from the rest.
        as far as using images from your previous employer, i have to say thats a bad idea imo. if someone pays you to produce an image for them, in their shop, with their epquipment, then you shouldn't be allowed to use it to try to get clients for yourself...seems like a no brainer to me...just my $.02
        www.boxxtech.com

Comment

Work

I guess it is safe to create a factious interior and exterior image and go from there. I'll probably take that route. I'll post something when I can. In the interim I have taken down my site.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by posterus
            as far as using images from your previous employer, i have to say thats a bad idea imo. if someone pays you to produce an image for them, in their shop, with their epquipment, then you shouldn't be allowed to use it to try to get clients for yourself...seems like a no brainer to me...just my $.02

I think as long as you get their permission, there is no problem with it. There are different kinds of circumstances. The place I worked at replaced me and continued to offer services. And while I was not even in direct competition with them on a number of levels, they thought it in their best interest for me not to profit off of them. They were a residential only firm, doing only track housing and had a digital rendering team of about 5 with a lot of render resource. I left because I was tired of residential (3 years of track housing can do that) and targeted commercial arch. I was one guy with 2 computers. I know of another company in town that does only visualizations, and they look for the small guy to pass off the small projects to. They too would probably have little problem with an ex employee using their work under the right circumstances. Another arch firm I worked at did only the 3d their clients made them do, so when I left, they couldn't care less what I did with the images. They even went so far as to replace me, but still to this day will send over work if they have a particularly picky client or just too much on the table. To them, 3d is a necessary evil and having someone else who can pick up their slack or deal with keeping current on education and technology is a bonus.

So, it really depends on the situation, and the best way to know is to simply ask.

Comment

Re: Work

Originally posted by glorybound
              I guess it is safe to create a factious interior and exterior image and go from there. I'll probably take that route. I'll post something when I can. In the interim I have taken down my site.
              Always the safe thing to do

And, look at it this way. When you do your own work like this, you get to set the deadline and be the art director. That kind of freedom can really be nice.

Comment

Work

I pretty much do that now so it isn't to bad. How many of you work for yourself? Any tips? Other thasn don't steal peoples work
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I have worked for myself for the last 2 and a half years. The biggest tip is to plan ahead with money. Sometimes you need to carry profits from big projects over smaller ones. Get good and accurate at scheduling your time. Get contracts made up and signed before you start your work. This is easiest if you make this a rule from the beginning and make no exceptions. Let clients know ahead of time where additional costs will incur and get them to sign off in stages as you go. Have fun. Don't stress too much. Keep up on your taxes :P Don't move to the Phoenix area these days. Stay away from video games (edit: Especially ones with the initials MMOG anywhere on the box).

Comment

Work

My wife works so the money isn't the issue. I just have a passion for renderings, starting by hand and moving to computers about 15 years ago. If I can't get work I can't do renderings.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Re: Work

Originally posted by glorybound
                      My wife is a doctor so the money isn't the issue...
                      Boy you sure arn't trying to win any points around here huh

Comment

work

Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thou shalt not steal... thought you were meant to abide by that.

Anyway as the others said.. whats done is done. You have realised your error in judgement. A fairly significant one if you ask me.. but anyway. Youve sorted it.

That said, ideally you want as much content to your site as possible (obviously). So get cracking on personal work, and try to get permission to use your images from those other firms.

Good luck dude, hope it all goes well for you

Comment

Work

Again, thanks for the support. I have learned my lesson and suggest everyone else to learn from my ignorance. It is pretty humiliating!
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I think for a webpage it isn't always a good thing to show too much work. Just show your best few projects rather than overload them with imagery IMHO

I think regarding using work done at previous employers that unless it is agreed in your contract or if there is a NDA that you should be alright to use it. It would really annoy me though if I worked on a group project with someone who had a small role in the job but who took credit for the work on their webpage, so maybe just stick to jobs that you completed 100% by yourself

Charleyc's story is a bit of a worry though... Maybe it depends where you live in the world on if you will be sue'd for this kind of thing.

Regarding claiming other peoples work as your own... I think admitting you did the wrong thing is really the best way of ensuring you don't do it again (As i bet someone else has already said)

Comment

Working...
                              X