First Time VRAY Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time VRAY Work

I have been doing fairly well reading the forum and picking up info here and there but my render times to me seem long

its an interior scene, a bunch of ies lights and an environment of 2, AA adaptive sub, ir with light cache (been going back and forth between 400 and 1200)

the real slowness comes during final rendering after processing light cache and ir

Is there anyone that can help me to develop a low res render setup and a high res render setup that are reasonable so i can get this image done, im nervous i cant finish it

my experiments with vray displacement on the carpet has halted my rendering and its just too slow to wait for anymore

I want to post the file and have someone look at it, I dont want someone to do the work for me, i want to do it myself, but if anyone can guide me

I can post the file somewhere and perhaps we can figure out what i am doing wrong, i love vray but im losing confidence in my ability to work in it

Using a lot of ies lights is going to be slow.

Using Shadow maps for them should speed it up a bit, shadows won't be as nice but with good settings the are passable.

Vlado is working on a new VrayIESLight, those along with the new effect GI radius should really help with render speed but we'll have to wait for a new release.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

wow

you were so right, i turned off the ies lights and rendered it with just environment and i cant tell you how quick it went, ugggh?

what can i do to substitute vray lights for ies lights and get similar results?

Comment

i would suggest not to place IES where it is hardly noticable. like in a center of a room. Use spots or omnis instead. IES works best when they are closer to a wall.
        if you find a bug...kill it.

Comment

Yeah stick with IES lights for limited feature lights. And use vray lights, omni/direct/spot lights for most other things.

Comment

ies on

so i turned the ies lights on again without area shadows, its speedy, but it looks really bad

so im turning area shadows on little by little

yeah its definitely the ies lights, thanks all

i have to learn how to use vray lights better, all with practice right?

Comment

practive makes perfect

Just make sure not to go nuts on area shadow subdivs. keep it 8-20 depending on how it looks.
              And IES lights and area shadows are indeed a slow combination.

Comment

maybe you should practive your spelling daforce!
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

I will get around to it one day

Comment

white spots

does anyone have any tips on how to get the cans of the recessed lights to turn hot white in vray, the ies did it very nicely, i tried to tuck the light gizmo up into the can but its all the way up and i set the falloff big enought to hit the sides but to no avail

however rendering times are so much better with direct spots and area shadows at 8, you all saved my life on that

i was thinking to put a self illuminated shape in the hole and put the light just underneath it but i was wondering if anyone had a more spohisticated idea on this

Comment

put a spherical vray light in each can with the can only included.
                      Chris Jackson
                      Shiftmedia
                      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

yes

great idea, this worked fantastically!

thanks!

now to finish this thing up

Comment

well,

actually now that i turn everything back on the light cache is up to 2 hours to calculate

i deleted every light, tuned off environment and rendered again to test it and it still takes long, i feel like something is wrong in the model

not sure, is there anyone that might be able to check my model to tell me where im screwing up? or perhaps there is nothing wrong at all?

Comment

try turning of LC preview if its on that might help alot.

But your more than welcome to upload the file and myself and a few of the others can have a sticky beak for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X