Particle challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice solution charley

Just to add you can use a bitmap in volume select to select sub-objects too, can be very handy
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

cool. nice tut charleyc.

We explored the displacement option a bit and will use it for the long shots. my coworker had good success with reactor on a small batch. The flappers look so much better this way because they actually rotate instead of stretch.

Overall we're satisfied for this go around. I'll post this topic again on CG Talk and see if i can lure someone (bobo) into a script that reads the greyscale value of a bitmap and links it to the rotation of the flapper.

BTW, Brian, (coworker guy) had beautiful results with a smoke map in one of the slots on the wave map. a mesmerizing result.

Anyone have a clue on the bitmap to rotation angle?

Comment

You can do this with PFTools Box3. I am sure it could also be scripted.

Comment

To follow up, we managed to get good results with displacement for the long shots and reactor for the closeups.

I did post on CGSociety under App. Specific > 3dsMax > Scripting. Bobo soved it with a script operator that reads the texel info of any image (or ifl) and rotates the particle +- 30deg. Very nice. He posted the Max 7 file if anyone is interested.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...09#post4355209

Comment

could you post up your result?
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

I was messing around after i saw charleys go at it...basically i did what he did up until the displace mod. I used the cloth mod and made a group out of the selection and preserved it. Then i used a wind spacewarp to actually blow the metal pieces. I used the starched cotten setting but i think you could use settings to make the cloth really stiff so that you don't get any torsional rotation.

I would like to see your final result too....post it if ya can.
              -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

Working...
              X