Poly slicing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly slicing?

Does anyone know how i can go about slicing a polygon about an axis every 12" (or however far i need) without using the slice plane and moving it every time?

I'm thinking there should be some sort of axis slice tool but I cannot find it.

Here is an example of what i mean.

Axis Slice

selecting two opposite edges and choosing the dialog box for connect will allow for a number of edges to be created in between the two.
    Not as precise if what you wish is a perfect 12" spacing, but with some math and a snap is a quick thing to achieve.

Lele

Comment

old script of mine does that:

http://plugins.angstraum.at/deconstructor/index.htm
      Marc Lorenz
      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
      www.marclorenz.com
      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Did you thought about the possibility to animate the slice modifier, or is that not what you want?

Comment

I just needed to make a bunch of seems on an existing roof to make a standing seem roof.

I didnt know how to subdivide the poly in max easily, I was hoping there was a way without a plugin.

I just ended up taking the roof into Modo, modeling it in there and importing it into max.

Thanks for the help all.

Travis

Comment

There is a script for that
            Bobo released a macroscript called "gridify" long time ago, but it still works in max9 even on poly objects. Go to scriptspot.com and do a search. Version I'm using is 0.5

Regards

Zoran

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
              selecting two opposite edges and choosing the dialog box for connect will allow for a number of edges to be created in between the two.
              Not as precise if what you wish is a perfect 12" spacing, but with some math and a snap is a quick thing to achieve.

Lele
              i second this!
              use it all the time!
              Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
              nuno@ene-digital.com
              00351 917593145

Comment

http://polyboost.com/

I can't say enough about this plugin. it is so underpriced for what it does. it's almost like a whole new modeling program. Free updates. endless tools.

Comment

well, i found out that the connect tool works fine for what I was trying to do.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Connect tool, boy thats a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Best tool ever And seems its rather unknown to alot of people.

Comment

people dont know about the connect tool? wow. thats like one of my favorites. if it was a physical button the letters would start to rub off of it from me pressing it so much. hey. that would be cool. virtual buttons which actually show wear and tear depending on how much they are pushed hehehe yes i know its a stupid idea

---------------------------------------------------
                      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

that would be cool. virtual buttons which actually show wear and tear depending on how much they are pushed
                        It would take Autodesk about 3-4 releases to get this right and would probably only be included in a 'Productivity pack'. Vlado would get it done in a week and it would work perfect.
                        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

so, after you use the connect tool to make the segments, it there another "secret" tool to copy the new segments over about 1/2 inch? (trying to use for a sidewalk and if I use polygon/inset, it also does the polygons on the ends where I don't want a joint...
                          Thanks, JR

Comment

After you add the new edges with the connect tool, just use chamfer on the new edges, which should still be selected.

Comment

or you can use the pitch and slide to get what you want. i never fooled around with them for a while but then when i found what they do i use them alot now too

---------------------------------------------------
                              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X