Good laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good laptop

Anyone have any suggestions on a good, reasonably priced laptop? I'd like to buy something that I can then use also as a good workstation. I was looking at the ACER Aspire 9810 series. The 9814 has Intel Core 2 Duo T5600, Display 20" Wide, 2 GB DDRII 533 mhz RAM (upgradeable to 4 GB), HD 120 GB, Nvidia GF7600 256 MB. The listed price on ACER's site is €1519,00. I do not want anything with a small screen. It is important that it is much more than just a portable laptop to be able to take with me to meetings. It has to also be a workstation and/or render node. Thanks!

Hi,

I have one Acer 5685WLMI with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 (T7200), 2GB DDR2, Display 15" Wide, HD160GB, Nvidia GF7600 256 MB and it's very nice to work with, I had no problems to do some heavy jobs. I paid +\- US$1300 in Dubai/UAE when I was living there.

Just one advise, take care with old Acer's models because the extra temperature.
    www.thefakeworld.net is back!

Comment

The Mac book pro machines are really nice - sony vaios have the nicer monitor I've seen too. Anything with a core duo cpu will be a useable machine for 3d.

Comment

Yeah, I saw those Sony Vaios. Nice. Though, I have not yet seen the 20" monitor, which I really want. I only saw the ACER on their web site.

Comment

Something that I have noticed more recently in my notebook purchases is that size is the biggest factor to consider. Portability vs usability. 20" would be great for a desktop workstation replacement, but if you are getting it specifically to supplement a desktop workstation you might want to consider staying at 15" or under. The way that i look at it after purchasing 3 different notebooks myself, the smaller the notebook is, the more places I will be able to take it with me/use it.

Speaking of portability, check out the model 02 from OQO - http://www.oqo.com/...don't think it is quite up to capability for running max very well, but it's specs and capability to run vista amazes me
          Ben Steinert
          pb2ae.com

Comment

HP's dv9000 series is sweet to work with. Use mine daily for work and I love it...
            Thanks
            Mathew Everett
            http://www.lappymats.com

Phillipians 4:13
            "I can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me."

Comment

Interesting thread. Good timing too.

I need to choose a lappy for my GF for her graphic design work at Uni.
              I was looking at the Dells, as generally their laptops are rather good.
              She doesnt want to spend huge amounts, ideally under $3k AUD.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Well, I think my model (Acer 5685WLMI) or the HP DV 6000 it should be fine to work with graphic design.
                www.thefakeworld.net is back!

Comment

I just got my HPDV6000 this friday and I'm sending it back. Pre-installed with Vista, there's no way to work decently with Max along with After Effects...
                  vertex wrangler

Comment

The dv6000 doesnt seem to exist here in Aus. Thc lose thing is the DV6200.

But the fact that almost all laptops come with Vista now days is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Dell seems a little flexible on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by v_wrangler
                      I just got my HPDV6000 this friday and I'm sending it back. Pre-installed with Vista, there's no way to work decently with Max along with After Effects...
                      ....is this because of screen resolution, or other problems with Vista?

i was considering picking this laptop up, but the screen resolution is 1240x800. that worries me a bit when working in any of my graphic apps, but i keep hearing that i will not appreciate a big laptop as much because of portability.

Comment

AE 7 got some language (menus) problem with Vista so I have no choice but to go back to XP at this point. I managed to keep the laptop but I'd have to spend again for the good ol XP..
                        vertex wrangler

Comment

Originally posted by v_wrangler
                          AE 7 got some language (menus) problem with Vista so I have no choice but to go back to XP at this point. I managed to keep the laptop but I'd have to spend again for the good ol XP..
                          hmmm... are you able to purchase and install a copy of XP on the laptop without a problem? in the past someone told me that HP's were configured to only run with versions of Windows purchased from HP for that computer. i don't know if there is truth to that or not. a couple of weeks ago i emailed HP about purchasing a laptop with XP on it instead of Vista, and the tech guy pointed me to a laptop they had for sale that was outdated as my only option. it was not what i was looking for.

...also, is the screen resolution adequate for working? ...i am considering spending another $500 or so for the dv9000, but the sheer size of that laptop makes me think it will not be as easy to sit on the couch and use as the dv6000 series is. the dv9000 series has a 1440x900 native resolution compared to the dv6000's 1240x800 native resolution.

Comment

I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro and a copy of Parallels + WinXP... set it up for dual-boot with Bootcamp. That way I can work in OSX and avoid all the security nightmares of windows, jump into XP through parallels when I need quick and easy stuff in XP or to let it run network rendering, and reboot into XP when I need graphics-card dependent apps like the 3dsmax viewports.

Comment

hmmm... are you able to purchase and install a copy of XP on the laptop without a problem? in the past someone told me that HP's were configured to only run with versions of Windows purchased from HP for that computer. i don't know if there is truth to that or not. a couple of weeks ago i emailed HP about purchasing a laptop with XP on it instead of Vista, and the tech guy pointed me to a laptop they had for sale that was outdated as my only option. it was not what i was looking for.
                              I've installed HP yesterday and everything works fine now. HP would not officially suggest installing XP and they told me that I am now on my own. There is actually a minor bios setting that has to be done first before installing XP, without this - any other OS installs prior to Vista will prove futile.

The troublesome part is installing all the drivers you'd find in their support site. I agree that the screen size is pretty small - but I only use the laptop on the set and I need something easier to lug around - so I can still get by the small resolution.
                              vertex wrangler

Comment

Working...
                              X