Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error code 998 on MAX9 and VISTA64bit

hello again

now i have installed the max9 on vista 64, i am getting this error at the startup of max:

DLL<C:\Program Files\3ds Max 9\stdplugs\DxPlugins\DxDDS.bmi> failed to initialize. Error code 998 - invalid access to memory location

and the viewport looks like corrupted graphics

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you very much

Martin
    teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

i have noticed that max instalator has split the instalation into two folders...

program files contain the max program

program files x86 contain only aditions such as dwf viewer

could that be th eproblem?
    teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

I was getting the same error on Vista 64-bit too, so I ended up using OpenGL in the viewports. However this was with the original 3dsmax 9; the Extension pack should have added proper Vista compatibility although I have not tested this.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

will try the productivity pack and sp1....

have tried to revert to opengl, but was getting the same error unfortunately

have browsed the forum...no hints on this..

i might try latest non beta drivers for gforce 8800gtx to see whether that makes difference but i dioubt it as the error points to the file within the max directory....

will keep u updated on this issue

best regards

Martin
        teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

Yeah, the error itself never went away... with openGL I was at least able to see something in the viewport after that

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

i am not sure who to blame whether autodesk or microsoft...but i think thist time the ball is on AD side

the thing is....should the productivity pack fix this.....what will all those people without subscription do.....i feel pitty for them

i know that vista is not good platform for rendering but i wanted to give it a go...and i know from my friend who uses xsi he has no problems whatsoever on it when its optimized...

fingers crossed ...i am on it now...
            teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

problem was fixed with productivity extension...

at last

but max has to run with aero off

thanks for all the inputs vlado
              teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

Just to say that with extension 1 it make 3dsmax work in vista, but you will loose aero composition during a 3dsmax session if your gfx card doesn't support directx 10. Also there is some annoying stuff in asset tracking when setting paths, we have to add a \ in the end of the path to make work.

P.S.:We don't have cards with dx10 support so we couldn't test in full the dx 10 support.

Best regards,
                Daniel Santana
                Daniel Santana | Co-Founder / Technical Director
                You can do it! VFX
                Lisbon/Porto - Portugal
                http://www.ycdivfx.com

Comment

currently running sessions of max under vista with dx9 and aero off, will have to test dx10 and aero on sometime...but i am glad it works....

there is a known bug regarding the double byte systems....anyway there is some workaround and also they r sending dll that fixes this bug upon request. There is a hotfix coming up soon for this apparently but u never know

Martin
                  teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

Working...
                  X