Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onix Storm/Garden

Hi all,

can anybody help me, is Onyx Storm/Garden any good with Vray? (rendering speed/looks/price)

is it possible or does it take lots of resources for wind option? (proxy possibility?)

What is the difference between onyx storm and onyx garden?

Regards
    Srdjan

can anybody help me, is Onyx Storm/Garden any good with Vray? (rendering speed/looks/price)
    Yes.

is it possible or does it take lots of resources for wind option? (proxy possibility?)
    When converting it to a proxy, it converts to a mesh which means you lose any built-in Onyx wind features.

What is the difference between onyx storm and onyx garden?
    Onyx Garden is collection of libraries.. trees, plants, etc. Tree Storm is the plugin to get Onyx trees into Max.
    "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Hi Clifton,
      thanks for the reply.

I read somewhere that is difficult to create good looking tree in the Onix, are you often using Onyx Tree?

Is there any usable technique to render wind moved trees in Vray? How they are doing it, by raw computer power. I am sure that my single computer will die with 2Gb of RAM, and Core 2 duo 2.4GHz.

Regards
      Srdjan

Comment

Onyx Tree is certainly not a one button and you have your plant kind of program, but I guarantee there are a lot more difficult ways to create plants. It is a very decent program.

As far as plants go, I think there is a 'proxy' display option with Tree Storm, so you can load a good number of them into your scene. And using Dynamic geometry, you shouldn't have too much trouble. But rendering anything but the most basic of animations on a single machine is going to take some time no matter what.

Comment

Ditto. With moving geometry you are going to need to use QMC/QMC or QMC/LC which is much slower than IR/LC.

The quality of your trees is proportional to the amount of time you spend in the Onyx tree modeler program. It takes a while to figure out all the variables, but once you do you can usually achieve the results you are looking for. The thing I don't like so much is their pre-made trees. They all look rather fake and their height and proportions often seem wrong. I usually start with their pre-mades and work on them until they look more realistic.

Also key to good Onyx trees is understanding how the material mapping works. You will want to replace the vertex color materials with leaf and bark maps.
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Hello Charley,
            Hello Clifton,

thanks for your interestin reply's

I understood about modelling and mapping as everything else, more time better quality, main thing is, once you make it, you can reuse it

Basically, it is not recomended to make wind affected trees, becomes to expencive? timewise, ofcourse time=money but sometimes time>money , when it comes to paying

Another thouth, somebody suggested to render in differen passes, which I did not understand, and to comp later?? maybe to avoid GI or to make GI with not so "lethal" settings

Regards
            Srdjan

Comment

Working...
            X