Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bitmaps path problem

Hi

At first I wanted to say "hallo" to everybody, since being quite a long time reader of that forum, didn't have the ability to write anything earlier. You/and your knowlegde really saved my neck few times ... so at first available spare time I'm gona crawl to Lurdes as a pilgrimage in your intention .

Despite of it I'm writing with a problem I couldn't solve and because it's not so strongly connected only to Vray I choosed that part of the forum, if I missed sorry.

The problem is:

connected with bitmap paths at office and at home.
    Normally working at office we have a linux file server that deals with all files in our company - so every bitmap/file is stored on it, mirrored, whatever, etc. Every workstation and renderfarm computer has two mapped discs, one to textures, another to projects.
    Recently (having a small junior here ) I have to work at home for some time (still rendering at office on the renderfarm). And it drives me creazy to change all the bitmaps path every time I switch home/office.

Either adding texture in material editor, or Utilities/ Bitmap/Photometric Paths - changes relative (mapped discs) paths (e.g Yath/file) into direct server path (//server_name/path/file) so having exact copy of textures in mapped harddrive on computer at home doesn't solve the problem.

The question is: how to make it, to go back home with few files to be prepared. And just open them, make what I have to make, send to office computer, and using VNC click render button? With no stupid time spent on changing all the paths to bitmaps and/or photometric files.

I hope I managed to write it clear, if not I will do it other words.
    I'm sure solution is obvious and I'm just missing something ... but so far I didn't solve it and it became very painfull ... because most of the time I spend on stupid clicking in Path Editor.

looking forward to your response
    and thanking in advance
    PEgaz

you might wish to try the vray stuff collector in my script pack.
    It will move the files (including the proxies and whatnot) into one folder, and create and save a max file with the paths pointing to the new place (or relative to the collected folder).
    This should ensure you actually are able to render the same scene from anywhere...

That, if i understood what you want

Lele

Comment

at first, thank you for your response!
      and that's what I thought - I wasn't clear

It would solve the problem - but It will cause a bigger one. Since to be sure that I will render exactly what I want, I will have to use your collector and send to office workstation big ZIP file will everything inside (sometimes few hundreds of MBs) with only 0.5mb internet connection at home

The point is to have exactly the same paths to everything at home and and in the office (then all I will have to send from home to office workstation will be only prepared .max file).
      The problem is that in the office everything is on file server with exact local network path (//server name/path/file; every worstation/renderfarm computer uses it) and at home I just have one workstation and on it I want to "fake" that exact network path.
      In that "faked path" I will reconstruct exactly folders tree with textures/ies files as in office and everything will be seen with no problem at home and in the office.

ufff .. I hope it was clearer

maybe there's other solution, quicker and easier that I can't think of because of lack of neuron connections, if so, please help.

regards
      PEgaz

Comment

Working...
      X