Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone built there own system-particularily an intel Quad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone built there own system-particularily an intel Quad?

ok I am hook line and sinker for a smoking machine, I have held off long enough and I am very impressed with the results for the X5300 series. I have build my last dual xeon pc's and keen to save €€€ by doing so again. I am looking at a dual X5335 771 Socket, has anyone here done something similar, if so what advice would you give on MB, Ram, HD etc.

Cheers,
    TOm
    Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

tom, your in luck. I just finished building my 5335 beast!

Mobo- asus dsgc-dw
    procs- intel dual xeon 5335 active heatsink
    ram- 4x 1gb Kingston PC5300 FBDIMM ECC
    HD- 250gb seagate
    PSU- Antec phantom 500w

anything else you want to know?
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

ooooh sweet,

I am going to go down the E53XX road alright, anything in particular I should consider with a MOBO, what made you pick that one. had you any assembly issues? did you use the boxed heatsinks/fans, whats with the active and passive spec???

thanks man,

Tom
      Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

Active means it has a fan, passive means it doesnt have a fan and I assume a bigger heatsink.

I would always reommend active cooling.

Comment

how about overclocking?

i've got my current dual core dual opterons from 1.8 to 2.4ghz for free! :P

i like free mhz.
          WerT
          www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Im pretty sure these puppies will get to 3.2 easily.

My mates core 2 duo runs at 3.6ghz stable on air cooling

Comment

you can overclock the xeons easily if your mobo supports it.
              My asus dsgc-dw doesnt support overclocking at the moment
              Chris Jackson
              Shiftmedia
              www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by werticus
                how about overclocking?

i've got my current dual core dual opterons from 1.8 to 2.4ghz for free! :P

i like free mhz.
                Please, could you point me how can I do that ?...I also have dual core Opterons and If it's possible I'd like to get some extras MHZ

Thanks,

Fernando
                show me the money!!

Comment

In the bios you turn down the ram clock and the HT link speed and turn on the pci and pci - e clock lock (must be available on your board).

On mine: instead of 200mhz ddr its now 175mhz ddr. (under clocking)
                  On mine: HT link from 4x to 3x
                  On mine: pci clock +1mhz to lock it.

You get a program called - Clockgen....

On mine: CG-NVNF4.exe which is a special over clocking tool for nforce 4 / pro based motherboards (assuming you HAVE a compatible motherboard of course, there are many version of this program for different mobos)

You ramp up the clock of the ram, cpu and HT all at once, so you end up with your cpu clock being considerably higher, and the ram and ht being a little higher than normal (hence the under clocking of the ram initially to allow the end result as they are linked together)

you need to be careful of course, the north bridge chip will crash over 35c and the cpu's over 60c so extra cooling is in order, i have a custom made NB cooling heat sink. but its only $35.

The motherboard i use is the asus k8w.

Out of date now, need to find a xeon which can over clock, and i wouldn't trust a non over clocking motherboard to support it later, because even if it does you don't know how well...

Also over clocking ability in 'server' and 'workstation' class motherboard is rare.
                  WerT
                  www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Working...
                  X