Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

q6600 choking when rendering and doing something else...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• q6600 choking when rendering and doing something else...

I though that with 4 cores I could render and do somethign else (watch tv or movies). I'm setting lowest priority for max in task manager, hit render and... my mouse is choking from time to time. I can watch movies but can't watch tv (skystar 2 card) because its choking. I reinstalled system but same thing happens. Anyone else noticed such problem with q6600?
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Yup I get the same thing with the qx6700 - if you use set affinity in task manager to take away cpu 0 for the task that's killing your system it normally works well.

Comment

is that because of the bad bus design on the intels?

i can do anything with my 4x Opteron no problems if priority is just one step lower.
      WerT
      www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

so maybe I should get mobo with intel new p35 chipset? right now I have 975X
        Luke Szeflinski

Comment

I didn't think setting priority did much. Try and free up one of the cores using set affinity.
          Kind Regards,
          Richard Birket
          ----------------------------------->
          http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Or buy a TV
            =:-/
            Laurent

Comment

hello lukx, i have 6400 with 4gig memory running on asus commando board, all overclocked with 3.2ghz per core and all runs smoothly....i can do just about anything while rendering apart from playing games .....i would say its a quetion of a mobo, as i have a bit older 965 chipset at work and its crap when i want to render and do something else...
              teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

use this little app,

http://www.donationcoder.com/Softwar...mer/index.html

...it controls process priority based on what percentage of CPU cycles that a particular program is hogging. i.e., if max goes above 80%, it will change the process to a lower priority so i can keep working in photoshop, or something else. when max drops back below 80%, it switches it back to normal priority. etc...

Comment

hmm, but commando is also on 965.
                  Luke Szeflinski

Comment

p35 is supposed to have a much better memory controller, i would be willing to say it would improve your render times, as its shown itself to improve game performance considerably all things equal.
                    WerT
                    www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

I've been noticing this problem on my quad Xeon 5150 as well... Process priority was much better on my dual Opteron 265 (not dual core), but that's the tradeoff I guess for the rendering speed improvement.

Comment

Is this on a 32- or 64-bit OS? I've noticed differences in the thread scheduling between 32-bit XP and 64-bit XP, where 64-bit XP will generally give less time to a background process than 32-bit XP (and so more time to the currently active foreground process).

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

it's x64 windows xp. I'm still tempted to buy asus p5k (p35 chipset) to see if this might speed up Q6600
                          Luke Szeflinski

Comment

I would be suprised if you got more than a few percent difference.

Comment

Working...
                            X