Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dellis
    Linux support for backburner.
    Backburner does have a web interface... so theoretically the tasks Monitor handles can be done from linux.

You won't see backburner server running on linux (since none of the atuodesk products that use backburner run on linux). About the only thing to hope for would be Manager running on linux.

Comment

How about a completely new materials editor - max's editor seems so far behind the times and realy clunky and horrible to use. The LightWave materials editior used to be a joy to use, especially with multiple textures on the same material.
      .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

.....oh, and two other things that realy bugs me...

1) viewport performance is still pretty crap (again compared to LW)

2) I get regular emails telling me how I benefit from having a subscription , but I don't get an email when a service pack comes out? WTF?

.:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

is the ridiculously slow mat editor loaded with vray mats something i shud gripe about to autodesk?
          also from my experience i loose all the advantages of the fast viewports if i have the mat editor open. when i close it all is well....though its often frustrating to wait for it to load.
          www.boxxtech.com

Comment

2) I get regular emails telling me how I benefit from having a subscription , but I don't get an email when a service pack comes out? WTF?
            i hear that...i have to rely on the forums ans thats no good
            www.boxxtech.com

Comment

- Current UI path system is problematic as others have noted. For months Max was working as planned by loading my custom UI on start-up. Now I have to manually load my UI scheme every time I load Max. I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out why Max is doing this, but I gave up.

- Project folders, while a good concept, are poorly implemented. It seems more of a beta feature that "works" but doesn't work well. It would be nice if there was a server application that could be used to manage all the projects from one location. When installing Max there could be an option to manage projects locally or to use a server. Maybe combine the project functions with Backburner. Some of the things the manager application could do:
              - Create projects
              - Archive projects
              - Set permissions
              - Define folder structure per project
              - Maybe move files around while maintaing path integrity
              - Maybe by combining with Backburner you could create reports on the number of render jobs a particular project has submitted, how many render hours a job has consumed, how many failed jobs, etc. Might be useful for determining which projects/users need help in better managing their process.

- Too many time I see software features, in Max or others, that are geared toward satisfying the individual user without considering how the feature would be managed across an office of 5 or 10 or 100 users. We spend a lot of time "fixing features" to maintaining office standards and workflow.

- Oh yes. How about creating Service Sacks that are backwards compatible with the Extensions you may have released a month earlier.

- More robust poly tools. Acquire the rights to PolyBoost if you have too.

Comment

MAX 9

I hate when I try to move something along the X and it moves along the Y or something. I am so suprised people put up with this one.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com
                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by PixelJockey
                  ...Service Sacks...
                  www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Oops. Freudian slip. Ha.

Comment

the splitting of trackview into curves and dopesheet is inconsistent - the two interfaces should be more similar (the filters button moves places amongst others)
                      its really annoying to have so many tracks taking up space when you want to drill down to one transform.
                      right clicking a key should work the same in both views
                      some sort of hot rollover to change a track from curves to dopesheet and vice versa would be cool
                      A filter to select keys within a time range would be useful for high multiple items (plus filter to select keys by type of transform and axis)
                      I end up with a docked curve view and a docked dopesheet and its awkward

and isnt there any way of aborting something and giving control back to the user more quickly? - recently I've been force quitting while it thinks about dumping what's in memory that I dont even want - because its quicker

Comment

Re: MAX 9

Originally posted by glorybound
                        I hate when I try to move something along the X and it moves along the Y or something. I am so suprised people put up with this one.
                        I am not familiar with this problem, can you explain it further? Does your transform gizmo not work correctly?

Comment

In a recent work, with Max9 SP2, i have many problems with the TGA'a files out of render... switch to PNG... and the same problem... in 500 files, 4 or 5 files with errors.. work with since 3DSTudio 1 for DOS, and i never had this problem...
                          Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

My current hardware setup: HP Z820 32-Core Dual E5-2670 128GB RAM - NVIDIA® Quadro K5000

Comment

donno if this thing happens to anyone but me,

if i cross the 2sided material, my max9 crash.
                            Dominique Laksmana

Comment

The Mirror tool in max has a weird bug I've always wondered about...it mirrors, but say in the case of target lights, leaves the icon of the light in the wrong direction. There are more problems with it under the hood if you try to export to real-time apps like Eon (or go to Maxwell). People say to use the mirror modifier, but it doesn't have as nice of functionality IMHO....

e.

Comment

Definitely include the fact, that work with max above lets say 10.000 objects in one scene is real pain. And this goes for objects with lots of sub elements inside a single mesh(for example trees). Max tools seem to fail above a number of objects. For example, if I want to apply some changes to an onyx tree just before I export it to a proxy, I have to restart max several times to keep it from crashing. A restart every time I apply a modifier. (for example a push to the leaves) Also, selecting and transforming many objects is way too slow.

We often work with large scale scenes with more than 10-20 thousand objects (proxy vegetation, people, other proxy props) so this is a major issue for us. This goes for selecting instances too. Selecting 100 objects is almost instant, when selecting for example 1560 light fixtures (in a scene I'm currently working on) takes almost 30 seconds, there is a quite noticeable decrease in performance above a certain number of things.

And also note that the attach feature in editable poly seems to mess up the memory. Attaching multiple objects at the same time (trough attach multiple command) kills max slowly.

Comment

Working...
                                X