Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new renderslaves

Hi guys,

we are going to buy new renderslaves in our studio, would like to know your feedback on this configuration. We are running 3dsmax 64bit with vray and we try to find proper configuration
    for handling heavy animation scenes...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 CPU 2.67GHz
    4GB DDR2 Kingston 667MHz RAM
    Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Core 2 Duo Mainboard
    XP 64bit

cheap graphic card
    cheap HDD

thanks filip

Dont go too cheap on your video card otherwise your viewport will be slooooooow

Other than that, looks good.

Comment

Thanks for reply,
      we would like to use these computers just as renderslaves, so I guess that good graphic card/HDD is not necessary... or am I wrong?

Comment

Ahh yeah sorry.. missed that part.

Yeap cheap card is fine.. carry on

Comment

I would go with a faster CPU, atleast a quadcore.. it shouldn't cost twice as much but it should be around twice as fast.

/Thomas
          www.suurland.com
          www.cg-source.com
          www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

I prefer Asus mobo, it does automatically overclock up to %15 percent when cpu usage %100 for a while

also go with DDR800 ram, overclocking is better
            --Muzzy--

Comment

In Aus, the E6700 is less than half the cost of the QX6700.

$417 vs $1320

They can both be bought cheaper (340 and 999) but only at one specific shop, the price I quote is the general cost of all shops.

But then you have to factor in motherboards, hdds video card..etc.. So it probably be better getting half as many qx6700 boxes i guess.

Comment

Thanks guys for your help

I've just done some research, what do you think abot this configuration - am not searching superb computer but something reliable and good performance/price setup...

motherboard: Asus P5K motherboard 220aud
                cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 4x2Mb Cache Quad Core 710aud
                memory: 2x Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB (2x XMS2 1GB) PC-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 RAM, 2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC Unbuffered, 4-4-4-12 2x220=440aud

have no idea how much could cost the rest - proper 1u case with all the rest of budget stuff as HDD and graphic card etc...

any suggestions? do you think, could I fit with this renderslave with xp64 installed to 2500aud budged? is there some ozzie, who could recommend me good company to setup this for good price?

thanks again,
                filip

Comment

Hey Mate, didnt see you were in aus

Yeah thats looking good. However im not sure if the quad cores will work with the small form factor of the 1RU cases. As they are fairly warm little sods and a 1RU compatible heatsink may not be good enough?? just a thought.

For prices I usually use www.shopbot.com.au and for service any of the following companies are really good.

www.megapc.com.au
                  www.itelectrical.com
                  www.pricepoint.com.au

Good luck

Comment

hey DaForce

agree abot the chassis, we will probably have IT guy, to choose proper box and the rest of our configuration...

thanks for links... very useful!

cheers,
                    filip

Comment

hey filip, where are you working now?
                      Chris Jackson
                      Shiftmedia
                      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Hi Jack, I am in c3di...

Comment

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! thats a shame.
                          Chris Jackson
                          Shiftmedia
                          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

What? something wrong about it? Hey, am enjoying Sydney, but sometimes missing sleepy Auckland anyway...

Comment

Working...
                            X