Ram issues - Maya linux, XP 64Bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram issues - Maya linux, XP 64Bit

I'm bouncing all over the place with my off topic posts these days, I'm a little over my head with a certain project. I just got a bunch of files from an effects house that are killing my machine everytime I go to render.

Some of the texture files and there are literally hundreds of them are 4K.
    My poor old 32 bit version of Maya 7 on Xp Pro is dying every time.

Anybody used Maya 64bit on Linux or Xp 64bit? Do you think that would solve the ram issues? or is down resing the textures my only option.

Thanks as always for your help.

P.S. The effects house was ILM , by some weird chance does anybody know what type of systems they use ? Maya supposed to just scream on Linux right ?

Re: Ram issues - Maya linux, XP 64Bit

Originally posted by Adam H. Stewart
    Maya supposed to just scream on Linux right ?
    It was probably the users screaming...

Seriously, Maya 8.5 on 64-bit Windows works very nice and you do have all that memory and stuff, so no problems with large scenes or textures (or V-Ray ) On 64-bit Linux things tend to be a bit flakey, or at least this is what we found here in our limited tests, with lots of occasional crashes - although this may have been specific to our Linux installation.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Re: Ram issues - Maya linux, XP 64Bit

Originally posted by vlado
      Maya supposed to just scream on Linux right ?
      It was probably the users screaming...

Seriously, Maya 8.5 on 64-bit Windows works very nice and you do have all that memory and stuff, so no problems with large scenes or textures (or V-Ray ) On 64-bit Linux things tend to be a bit flakey, or at least this is what we found here in our limited tests, with lots of occasional crashes - although this may have been specific to our Linux installation.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Hello Vlado SP1 is out for Maya 8.5, enven on linux...

Best regards...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9242259
      My Flickr

Comment

Yeah; it doesn't mention any particular stability or 64-bit fixes though. These are my impressions from the particular 64-bit version for Linux that we tested... like I said, they may have been specific to our setup.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

I'd look at resizing as many of the textures as possible, unless you are planning some extreme close ups, they sound like overkill for 1080.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

yeah, knowing from another thread what the files were originally from, I can't imagine you need 4k textures. I'd downsize them pronto.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Vray - 64bit Maya 8.5

This could be the dream ticket - 64Bit and Vray in Maya - I wouldn't know meself. Is Vray for Maya 8.5 alive and kicking, can I net-render with it ?
              How do I get my little sweaty hands on a copy ?

It was very funny yesterday - The boss of the company the producer and the main tech guy where in my office, they where dying to see what the model rendered like, so I kept deleteing objects and doing test renders. Eventually we went from this entire detailed model of a full torso to just a head - very Spinal Tap. It rendered fine until I tried to turn on a single light - then the machine froze

I think I'll be killing as many of the 4K textures as I can, I heard a rumour from a studio vendor that somewhere out there for some reason they are doing 8K renders - I'd be so afraid to try that I'd put on bomb disposal gear before hitting render

Thanks as always for your help.

Comment

makes you wonder if these big mega hollywood studios, somehow have hardware not set to be released to the general public for like 5 years...

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Thats what I'm thinking

That's what I'm thinking - they're the ones who found the alien out in the desert, stole his laptop and are using it to make milions

Comment

Re: Vray - 64bit Maya 8.5

This could be the dream ticket - 64Bit and Vray in Maya - I wouldn't know meself. Is Vray for Maya 8.5 alive and kicking, can I net-render with it ?
                    How do I get my little sweaty hands on a copy ?
                    You can just send an email to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com and ask for access to the full beta version. (They will probably send you an NDA to sign though.)

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

NDA not a problem

NDA not a problem - if it works it will SMFA

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Working...
                      X