Processor Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor Speeds

Can someone explain or point me toward some info that explains what the naming of the processors actually means....

Like is this:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB)

...running at 2.4Ghz total or 4.8Ghz.

I'm getting lost in all this dual, core 2, duo! And while you at it is there a list that explains the AMD processor speeds by their number/name?
    -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Comment

That particular chip is a dual core processor with each core running at 2.4ghz.
      It is not quite the same as saying it is a 4.8ghz processor because of various factors.

The AMD cpus seem to be roughly the same sort of speed as the intel cpu that is 200mhz slower - this is only a rough guide though.

i.e. AMD X2 3800+ runs at 2.0ghz so would be similar in speed to a 1.8ghz core 2 duo.

If you are in the market for buying I would wait 1 month. I noticed today that stocks of the AMD cpus at my local supplier (scan) are dwindling.... ready for the phenom cpus i am guessing.

Comment

Bus speed of the motherboard: 266 Mhz

CPU FSB "Quad pumped" = 4*266 = 1066 Mhz,
        The FSB is the bus between the CPU and the Northbridge.

CPU frequency = mutiplier coeff * Bus speed of the motherboard, here is 9
        9*266=2394 Mhz

Duo Core => 2 cores at 2394 Mhz (2.4Ghz)

In teapots we trust.

Comment

I have the e6600, and the chip is awesome. I have it overclocked to 3ghz/core. Which is an easy overclock requiring barely any extra cooling, I love the chip. If I were you, I would wait till you can afford to go with a quad core chip.
          Colin Senner

Comment

Thats was part of my dilemna in the first place....this computer parts site that i frequent had a deal on the quad and a motherboard for seemingly cheap. I just want ed to betterunderstand what i would be getting. For the money i may try and build on of their barebones systems or buy a bunch of components and then build...not sure yet.....

If anyone wants to check it out its tigerdirect.ca

Heres the specific link..... http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...=CP2-DUO-Q6600

Moondoggie did you buy yours seperately and put it in?

Comment

664 $

Wait a month (22 july) and the price of the QX6600 will be 266 $
              In teapots we trust.

Comment

yes, I got the e6600 for $305 at MicroCenter, and installed it myself. $305 is a steal for that processor. OCed to 3ghz, it is faster than it's daddy the e6800 (clocked at 2.8ghz) (which was $530 at that time, just a few months ago), and almost as fast as the e6800extreme which was ($900) @ 3.2ghz I believe.

Sweet chip, it was super hard to find though because it really was the sweet spot for price/speed. Once again wait it out just a bit, you'll be happy with the Quad

-Colin
                Colin Senner

Comment

You could of course buy yourself the E6420 which is even cheaper and overclock that to 3.2ghz easily

But if you can wait till the end of July the prices will drop by around 50%

Comment

I think i'll wait and see what happens....thanks all!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X