best way to export from aliasstudio to get model right inmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to export from aliasstudio to get model right inmax

Does anyone had any experience with working with data exported from alias studio? If so what's the best way to got geometry right into 3dsmax. Flipped normals I can deal with but often there is problem with continuity.
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

nPower power translator + power nurbs.
    Good enough poligonalisation, excellent edge sewing, clever normal flipping tools.

Otherwise, a good pass through Rhino (you can get a demo version with 25 saves, if you wish) via the IGES format might help.
    Mind you, you'd have to output an obj (or analogue DWG polygonal mesh), which may amount to a few million polys, depending on the object...

Lele

Comment

The nPower plugins are utterly fantastic, second vote on those. Doesnt really matter if you go through IGES/other or import a rhino file from the demo, ive not seen them seriously fuck anything up and the tools are very nice to use.

I really hope autodesk buys them out to put in max as standard next version... They did with power boolean, at least

Comment

I seriously doubt they are going to integrate the full range of npowertools. Too many license issues with datakit stuff etc i'd guess.

Anyways, third vote on them. Tho i DID see the, fuck things up :P (but that may jsut as well be a problem in the source)

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

If you use Rhino, then make sure you ..

1)Sew/join all surfaces together that you need continuity on.

2)Group all surfaces into layers by matl and then export as obj (mesh).

3)Use polycruncher to get an acceptable poly count.
          .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

Working...
          X