DR and backburner as a service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR and backburner as a service

Is there a way to install DR and/or Backburner as a service, so users of an other computer does not see it. For now, it is installed in the startup menu, but a few users are angry about that, they see the little Max bars on there screen, they have to close them,one by one, I mean, so much work...

Anyway, is there a way to open it in background or something

Thanks!
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Yes you can. In the chaosgroup program group there's a shortcut to register the spawner as service. As for Backburner there's a section in the Backburner-Docs about installing as a service. Be sure to make the serives run as the right user tho, or you might end up with your slaves beeing unable to access textures/xrefs/proxies etc

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

Thks Thorsten,
      Alain Blanchette
      www.pixistudio.com

Comment

I don't remember why, but we had some user/service issues.... we ended up just putting the shortcut in the start menu of our "render" user. Of course you have to log-in for this way to work....
        www.studio2a.co

Comment

Using Microsoft Powertoys for XP you can create auto-logins easily, and it does the trick. But it doesnt solve the above issues.

i am currently running DR as a service and BB not (cause if BB is running as a server then you cannot check the VFB via RemoteDesktop and ppl are requesting that a lot). It is managed using a webbased console atm, tho there's a lot of trouble to be fixed.

Regards,
          Thorsten

Comment

Backburner works fine, but DR seeme to be an issue, it is running on the slave machines, but the machine which manage the job can not seem to connect?
            Alain Blanchette
            www.pixistudio.com

Comment

i would guess the service is running under system user then. Wich wont work. you'd have to tweak the service's advanced settings to make it "run as a specific user"

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

It is running as a specific user (I just double-checked) , with all the networks stuff working ok, as it does with backburner

When it registers the service, is it still using the same .ini, as I am working on viz, the .ini was changed.....
                Alain Blanchette
                www.pixistudio.com

Comment

And one more thing, is there a way to ask theses services to start as low priority? (when I get DR to run, one day)

Thanks
                  Alain Blanchette
                  www.pixistudio.com

Comment

is the service started at all ?

Regards,
                    Thorsten

Comment

Yes, the service runs.

The message I am getting from Vray messages (at render time)

Could not connect to host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: No connection could be made because the targeted machine actively refused it.

When I start DR the "classic way" the machine(s) chew the job no problem.

I'll dig a little more on the low priority thing as well

Thanks Thorsten
                      Alain Blanchette
                      www.pixistudio.com

Comment

When I tried DR running as a service recently, it seemed to be ok, so I am not sure what the specific problem may be. Does it manage to get 3dsmax running in slave mode in that case?

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado, think you got something here...

When I use the account of the person that is using the computer, it does manage to start viz.
                          When I use the account <render>, it loads Vrayspawner90, but it is not loading any 3dviz.exe..

Hummmm

edit: oops, my mistake, it does start 3dviz.exe on one of the computers, but not on the other...
                          Alain Blanchette
                          www.pixistudio.com

Comment

sounds like permissions might be screwed :/

Thorsten

Comment

Ok.... Kinda fixed the problem..

- Firewall permissions... simple enough ( should have done this first)
                              - Shut down Backburner Service ( don't know why yet, wich is a little bit of a pain, would like to have both running at the same time, but whatever...)
                              Alain Blanchette
                              www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Working...
                              X