OS for backburner manager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS for backburner manager?

Just a quick question, do I need to use Windows Server 2003 to run backburner manager for a renderfarm with more than 10 rendernodes?
    AFAIK, windows xp pro can only accept max 10 concurrent connection
    Harry G

You dont HAVE to, but switching to 2k3 servers got rid of a lot of Problems for us. Mind you that patching the connection limit did NOT get rid of these Problems :P

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

So, is there any other OS options for running backburner manager? I don't suppose backburner can run in linux, is it?
      Harry G

Comment

I think that there are back burner compatible linux managers, but they will cost you money.

Comment

Thanks for the input. There's still some things I'd like to confirm. So please bear with me

Suppose I run windows server 2003 for my file server (which also runs as license server & backburner manager), and I have for example 15 rendernodes. Do I need one CAL (client access license) for each of the rendernodes for a total of 15 CAL?
          Harry G

Comment

Re: OS for backburner manager?

Originally posted by alexthg
            Just a quick question, do I need to use Windows Server 2003 to run backburner manager for a renderfarm with more than 10 rendernodes?
            AFAIK, windows xp pro can only accept max 10 concurrent connection
            we run our backburner manager on a XP pro machine often with 40 or so render nodes.

i don't know the technicalities of how backburner works, but the computers are not connecting to the backburner computer, they are simply pinging each other, and the backburner computer is the sending commands and which files for the rendernode to access on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by alexthg
              Thanks for the input. There's still some things I'd like to confirm. So please bear with me

Suppose I run windows server 2003 for my file server (which also runs as license server & backburner manager), and I have for example 15 rendernodes. Do I need one CAL (client access license) for each of the rendernodes for a total of 15 CAL?

Yep, according to MS nasty licensing scheme you can work a couple of ways:
              • One CAL per machine connecting
                One CAL per user connecting
                Unlimited CAL

Also, some versions of Windows server come with CALs included.

As for what OS, we're marching along fine with backburner manager and plugin license managers running on a Win2k server

Comment

Working...
              X