Black people cutouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black people cutouts

I'm working on some renderings and i need to populate the scene with black people. I never really payed any attention to the race of the people in the libraries i have, but now i notice that they're all white. Good low poly 3d models would come in handy too.

Any suggestions?
    Dusan Bosnjak
    http://www.dusanbosnjak.com/

Axyz has some very diverse libraries of low poly people. And IMO the
    African American people are the best looking models from them. We can
    actually get the camera a little closer to those models.

Regards,
    Mike
    http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

Yeah, they definitely look good. And they come complete with boombox and plastic bag from the corner quickmart to boot! Did anyone else laugh out loud then die a little inside at this ethnic stereotyping by axyz? All they're missing is the unfolded cardboard box and one character posed in a break dance move.

That being said, the people look good, we should probably purchase them. That stuff just really bugs me...

Shaun
      ShaunDon

Comment

I agree. I cant imagine using those props in a render.
        http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

I remember a while ago, looking forward to the AXYX upcoming ethnic catalog, and was incredibly disappointed with the racial sterotyping when they released their "african-american" still-poses catalog. And not just the props, but the clothing and the poses are disturbing as well. Do you they think all black people are street hustlers, rappers, prostitutes, or homeless people? Its really quite insulting.

Where is AXYZ team from anyway?
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

you know, on an international forum saying African-American really isn't PC because not all black people are from American with an African heritage.
            Some of my friends who are not from America actually get offended. They are neither African, nor American yet everyone refers to them as African American. They responds, "no dude, I'm just black." It's kind of funny really.

Comment

Well, actually I did mean African-American because I think that the profiling that AXYZ used was inspired by american ghetto stereotypes (BTW, I'm american). I think that African immigrants, as well as Afro-Brits and Afro-Europeans look different culturally than the collection they created. That is why I wondered where they were from. Originally I assumed they were some eastern european outfit, but now I think AXYZ is a couple white guys in the american south.

Or, if not, they have certainly been watching too many "gangsta" films...

Comment

you're american? good god, who let that happen.

Comment

Comment

I hear you in Stereo

Things get touchie especially in Los Angeles when it comes to race. I was at a party one day with my girlfriend who is Mexican American and I was talking to one of her cousins, in her parents neighbourhood of Sylmar, the ethnicity is 95% Mexican. I made a general statement about Latino culture and football, I thought I was doing the right thing but he got all up in my grill " I ain't no Latino, I'm a Mexican Bitch - don't put me in same boat as some stinking Puerto Rican ". To be honest sometimes being white you have a target painted on you, their are alot of people who are already pissed off at society and are ready to pounce as soon as you make even the most innocent and well meaning mistake.
                    Now here is a hilariously depressing story. My thesis film at AFI was set in the 1950's and was about a Barbie Doll that comes to life. The film made fun of how Barbie comes in various different colors, but all the faces and figures are exactly the same. While doing research on Barbie at Toys R Us I came across a black barbie doll that - this is no joke - worked at McDonalds and had 3 kids. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Comment

I definitely need some business like people, not rappers and gangsters. Cutouts would really be useful, probably even more than 3d people.
                      Dusan Bosnjak
                      http://www.dusanbosnjak.com/

Comment

Sorry, this got a bit off track probably because of me...

I don't normally recommend RPC but they do have an ethnically diverse collection of libraries:

http://www.archvision.com/ContentDet...3&LocationID=3

@Adam: You called your mexican-american girlfriend Latino? Ouch!

Comment

The RPC collection is pretty good, it beats much of the other stuff we have from ArchVision. I had to use them in PS using the plugin because I resolved to never install RPC for MAX/VIZ ever again...too many issues crop up when using them in MAX/VIZ, and I just generally do not like the cut-and-paste look that they give right out of the box.
                          Ben Steinert
                          pb2ae.com

Comment

I ended up hand-painting the skin on all our aXYZ business people and kids... can't share them, though, but it works well enough. Interestingly enough, there's actually a law in the US that says the people depicted in advertising for real-estate must depict a somewhat accurate diversity-percentage to the area the building is located. Otherwise you could be violating the Fair Housing act or something.

Just open the textures and find a good photo of someone with an 'ethnic' skintone, then copy/paste/match the skin.

Comment

Actually her cousin

Actually it was her cousin - who was a big guy ( about 6-2") 260 lbs, with a saved head - I did sweat a little. It got sort of funny when he told me that he had never talked to " A white guy " for so long before, that I was Alright !! then we all did shots of tequila and I don't remember much more of the evenig

Comment

Working...
                              X