No announcement yet.

Looking for a script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friggin lele, with the thinking and the ideas and monkeys poking with sitcks

yea a statistic display, "on disk" and "in memory"

Wow, thanks so much again. As it stand this has saved me much stick poking monkey wrestling.
    "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

i dont think you'd have to actually decompress/load the textures as the size in memory is a rather simple calc for Bitmaps : SizeX*SizeY*BitsPerChannel*NumberofChannels = Size in memory in bits.

Should be readable from the header and should be faster then actually loading the bitmap.

Regards,
      Thorsten

Edit : Just saw that you are grabbing the texture dimensions anyways. so it's easy to calc the size in memory.

Comment

duh me, so very right, Thorsten.
        It was late at night...
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^
          Really clever, well done mate.
          This means alot, thanks Lele and everyone else.

At any rate, this script was written very fast, so optimizations etc can come later, and it can certainly be a community project if anyone has any ideas as the source script is plain english.

I love the idea about the size in memory. The formula Thorsten posted is relatively self-explanatory. I'd love to see it integrated into the script and UI. I will be happy to do it myself, once some questions are answered.

can you calculate other bitmapTexture formats the same way such as tifs, jpgs, etc.? Also let me know how it would be handled UI wise. A checkbox in the "Size" group that specifies if the maps are that big in memory?

Many thanks,
          Colin
          Colin Senner

Comment

It means your code is a hell of a lot cleaner and fool-proof than mine

Ideally, a checkbox that said "check uncompressed size", and a pop-up box that warned that the process could take a long time and eat up some ram would be what I would put in, but i am no feng-shui follower when it comes to interface desing...
            The fact is that Thorsten formula need YOU to take into account the formats (ie. a Tiff might be 8, 16 or 32 bits, headers may vary between image type flavours and so on and so forth), whereas in the case of a straight open into FB, you would eat up ram, but forget entirely the bother with the code.
            A freescenebitmaps() after the FB has been closed and the bitmap flushed should ensure there is no ram pollution.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Well once you got the bitmaps you can check for the type of bitmap via BitmapIO's getType method
              (wich is an enum). I'd have to dig into it tho to find out how to exactly use it.

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

Working...
              X