lofting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lofting help

Why am i getting this behavious from the loft. it looks as though it wants to create the cross section at a tangent to the shape used in that area. if i could figure out a way that it would make a smooth curve id be super happy

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Why not just loft the shape you want around a circle?

Comment

you mean lathe it? like this?

because im not trying to make a cylindrical object. this is just an example as to how the loft makes a bad surface. i need a smooth curve out of my loft. If i use nurbs U-loft it works perfectly but not with normal loft.

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

Ah. Just noticed that the original circles were slightly off center.

Comment

have you tried a cross section? (editable splice>attach splines> cross section>surface mod?)

Comment

cant do that. the good thing with loft is im able to keep each of my loft shapes as an instance of the original shapes. so whatever i do to the originals i can do to the lofted shape

Comment

Hi ELf, Why don't you try a simple loft with a circle and play with the scale in it with adding points with cuves?
              =:-/
              Laurent

Comment

because what i want to do will be lofted along a line and will have 20 different cross sections and scale wont work

Comment

this is what im working on. each cross section is a seperate spline. see how the loft kinda makes it work on a crappy tangent where as the nurbs is a nice smoth surface

Comment

what are the handles for the splines? are the ones that should be smooth set to smooth?
                    Colin Senner

Comment

the cross sections are not the problem. its the tangent that being made by the cross lines that join each spline to the next.

Comment

Elf,
                        Here's a couple things to try just off the top of my head:

1. Are the verticies of your splines welded together?

2. Try fiddling with the interpolation options of the spline.

Hope this helps.

Comment

welded? there are 20 different splines there. spline01 spline02 spline03....spline20 they are not part of one mesh. the only time they are joined is when used as seperate cross sections in the loft.

Comment

I mean, in each spline, are all the verts welded? Like, are all the verts in spline01 welded together. I've had a similar problem before and it turned out there were 2 verts in the same spot that weren't connected (welded). Make sense now?

Comment

yeah, they are all welded. it was drawn as one line and i didnt use a break on any vertex

Comment

Working...
                              X