Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d mice

hi guys

just curious how effective the 3d input devices like 3d connexion stuff are, does anyone use one?

I couldn't live without mine. I love it, any other way of getting around your scene is just clunky.

I have the basic model of the 3D Connexions space traveler.

BUY ONE NOW!!!
    They are REALLLLLY cheap nowadays.

Comment

interested in this myself.
      Colin Senner

Comment

Originally posted by Blitterswitch

I have the basic model of the 3D Connexions space traveler.
        i was looking at the cheaper sapce navigator, but that has only 2 buttons instead of the traveller's 8.

Comment

My appologies, I always get confused. I have the 2 button one. Its ace, at the price it is now, there is really no reason not to own one.

Comment

@Blitterswitch...do you find 2 buttons are enough?

Comment

.........just checked out the prices here in HK and they're cheaper than online...

Comment

If you have the money I would suggest you get the one with the palm rest and the millions of buttons - not the one with the screen though - even the rep I bought mine from said it was a waste of time.

Two buttons is enough to work though, one zooms to the selected object and the other brings up the 3dconnexions config menu - although you can configure them to do anything you want.

Comment

I've tested the Traveller with the 8 buttons, and I found it a bit annoying to be honest.
                  I thought it wasn't heavy enough because I kept lifting it and some of the buttons were hard to reach.

I can image the SpacePilot is very good even though it costs alot more.
                  www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
                  @home:
                  / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
                  / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
                  @work:
                  / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
                  Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
                  / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

10X for ur thoughts guys

Comment

I have one and don't use it

I have a 3D connxion SpaceMouse with 8 buttons and I hardly every used it, not sure why, it took alot of time to set up. Now I use a 3m Ergonomic mouse ( basically a joysick with 3Buttons ) that I couldn't live without. It is the only thing that stops my wristings and hand from getting f@CKED when I do all nighters. I find it much more accurate then a now mouse - hey if a crane driver and a helicopter pilot use a joystick it's good enough for me.

One night while working a really heavy project the machine crashed, I had a little temper tantrum and slammed the joystick down breaking it. I was almost crying, I rush ordered another on, and couldn't really work right until it arrived.

hope this helps.

Comment

sorry to hear that adam....

hey if a crane driver and a helicopter pilot use a joystick it's good enough for me.
                        heavy duty user

this product is new to me.......

Comment

switching to a wacom tablet stopped my wrist pain.
                          its also faster than a mouse after a few weeks
                          and its much easier when working in photoshop.

i dont like these space pilot devices,
                          i think it´s faster to work with hotkeys and tablet.
                          sold mine a few years ago.
                          Reflect, repent and reboot.
                          Order shall return.

Comment

i used to have a space ball 3d to play games with.
                            WerT
                            www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

I've got a space pilot. The drivers are nearly worthless and they changed it so it only works with 3d apps.
                              If i'm paying That much for a special mouse I want to have control over every aspect of it. It should even be able to pan my emails if I want. The old drivers could do that, but don't work well with max 9. The new drivers work ok in max 9, but not much of anything else.

I've got the screen, which is useless, and tons of buttons. Their locations are useless as well so I really only use the two buttons.

I actually only use the thing to control cameras now. Max's tools for moving camera stink since you can't use the same methods to move a camera as perspective. I don't use the buttons, since I came from Maya, so i don't want to use them for max either.

I would imagine the smaller ones have a problem lifting off the table though, so the wrist rest might be worth it.

Not a very useful purchase overall though.

Comment

Working...
                              X