Default Max 9 Folders - REMOVE THEM PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Max 9 Folders - REMOVE THEM PLEASE

Is there any way? I have my own organizational setup - I don't need all these useless folders lying around that I have to dig through each and every time. Unfortunately, every time I open up a dialog it defaults to a Max folder in My Documents...

If it could just go to Desktop that would make me very happy.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

yep

customize menu then configure user paths.

Comment

And turn off Use user Folder in some .ini file hidden in the local settings folder. That switches back to the pre-R9 behaviour.

Regards,
      Thorsten

Comment

3dsmax_root\installSettings.ini
        change useUserProfiles=1 to useUserProfiles=0

Should do it.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks guys. Phew...
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

wait until you guys dive into Vista. the whole damn thing is set up to use folders per user profile. very annoying, but you can disable that also.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy homeless guy
              wait until you guys dive into Vista. the whole damn thing is set up to use folders per user profile. very annoying, but you can disable that also.
              How does it differ from the XP profiles since it also stores a lot of settings in each profile? Just curious for that inevitable upgrade
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi
                Originally posted by crazy homeless guy
                How does it differ from the XP profiles since it also stores a lot of settings in each profile? Just curious for that inevitable upgrade
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

it is supposed to be a security measure, but it is annoying, and constantly pops up multiple requests for approval when installing, or moving items. i disabled early in my vista experience, but from what i remember, when you install software, it installs in a program folder under your user profile instead of the master program folder. it is for the novice user, any professional should disable it before they really start using their computer. you really have to dig for the settings to disable it also.

Comment

you mean downgrade?
                  WerT
                  www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by werticus
                    you mean downgrade?
                    http://www.geek.com/microsoft-quietl...rades/?rfp=dta
                    That's what he meant, yes.
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

nope, i am still on Vista, but i had to dig to make the folders work like they did in previous versions.

the new system is simply a series of safegaurds against both idiots installing anything and everything on their computers, as well as software being malicious after it is installed. so, microsoft means well with it, but i need my computer organized in a certain way so that all software plays nicely together.

Comment

Working...
                      X