Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dsmax 2008

Hi people,

I had a seminar yesterday about the newest max version 2008 and its new features and such.
    i ofcource saw all the new features video on the autodesk website. and well i hoped for a bit more. this was hardly the case.

i feel a bit dissapointed about the new stuff they implemented in 2008.
    - the new "realtime" shadows/relfections is nice to have.

- New selection in poly mode (multi) so no switching between diffentent levels such as vertex, edge, poly, and such (but realy this shoudl be there a couple of years ago if you ask me)

- mental ray is improved with the skylight portal or something, but i'm not using mental ray so all those improvements are not that interresting for me. btw that feature as it look in mental ray would alos be a nice addition to vray

- some character studio improvements.

- and last "preformence" improvements when using loads of objects, such as selecting stuff (new scene manager, faster handeling, viewport stuff adaptive degradation)

But really i dont have the feeling of a "wow" version it more basic stuff the fixed. its more a reasonable upgrade then a new version.
    I wonder how you guys feel about this?

and i forgot to ask yesterday but will the viewport stuff also work with vray lights and vray materials ??
    My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Nope, viewport stuff won't work with VRay

I went to a seminar in Utrecht, The Netherlands in September (End User Event) and also watched the presentation. The new Mental Ray looks really good, with the Photographic Exposure Control, which is kinda like the VRayPhysicalCamera in VRay.
    I'm sure it's a nice addition for the people who do use Mental Ray.

I'm still sad that Peter Mitev couldn't make it to the EUE. Gustav Capote, apparently one of the best beta-testers who works for Preconstruct in the UK, took over the VRay 1.5 presentation, but his English was hard to follow sometimes.
    www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
    @home:
    / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
    / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
    @work:
    / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
    / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

Originally posted by DrJan
      Nope, viewport stuff won't work with VRay
      The viewport shadows do work with VRay lights, but there is a bug with vray light falloffs and the multipliers affecting both viewports and also rendering. This is supposed to be fixed for the VRay service release though.
      Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Working...
      X