Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max 9 refresh issues (Viewport)

Hi Everyone,
    Not sure if this is VRAY related on not so I posted here.
    We are seeing some nasty Viewport refresh issues with Max 9 in certain files.
    We use Dell 690's With a combo of Dual 4500's and Dual 4600 Quardos.
    We have tried Direct X and Open GL to o avail, when we work in shaded mode things get really slow.
    Wirefame is fine but any time we work with Shaded mode with textures Max crawls in the views with a nasty refresh every time we perform any action.
    We are using Vray sun and Physical camera and I have heard this might be an issue as well.
    Cheers
    Mike Kennedy
    Two heads are better than one ...
    ....but some head is better than none.....

Does it happen if you switch to a plain perspective view or a regular camera view?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

basically happens in all views, some times switching to user views helps but not always...wire frame views are fine...

Comment

Ok, are there any V-Ray specific objects in the viewport (proxies, vrayplane etc)? If, just for a test, you delete them, does it return to normal?

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Hi Vlado,
          Will test that out!
          Cheers
          Mike Kennedy

Comment

Hi Vlado,
            It does seem to be when we have complex scenes with proxies in them, though it might be the VRAY camera too, I look the Vray camera but it's gets skewed really easily compared to a max camera, I find myself having to use the roll tool for cameras all the time.
            I am guessing we might be getting hit by the Direct X issue the service pack corrects hopefully, but this refresh happens in Open GL as well, it's really a show stopper for us.
            Cheers
            Mike Kennedy

Comment

Well, a camera viewport is typically slower than a perspective one, but this is true even for the standard cameras.

The V-Ray service pack does not change anything in the way V-Ray proxies are displayed compared to the original 1.5 version (still, it should be much faster than the RC3).

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by mike_kennedy
                Hi Vlado,
                It does seem to be when we have complex scenes with proxies in them, though it might be the VRAY camera too, I look the Vray camera but it's gets skewed really easily compared to a max camera, I find myself having to use the roll tool for cameras all the time.
                I am guessing we might be getting hit by the Direct X issue the service pack corrects hopefully, but this refresh happens in Open GL as well, it's really a show stopper for us.
                Cheers
                Mike Kennedy
                Make sure your vertical shift on your vrayphys cams is set to 0.0 and not keyed. Also.
                Colin Senner

Comment

I had something similar, where max kept crashing with some scenes, and it started with my meshes colour changing to red in the viewport and then later it would display in shaded with edges even though this feature was turned off.
                  It drove me mad and all on 1 machine eventually switched from DirectX to OpenGL and it seemed to fix it. All I would do was select an object and max would crash, it was definitely a max thing.

Funny thing is my graphics card is an 8800GTX and as such you would think directX would run better than opengl. Having said all that there is an identical machine that does not exhibit the same problems. Must have been a game I installed.

Comment

The red meshes happen because some DirectX shader for the viewport could not be compiled... it's probably a drivers issue or something.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

It seems to happen mostly when we have large numbers of proxies in our scenes files, on the order of thousands in most cases. We notice also in Max 9 that Isolating take way longer now too, but I think that isa max 9 thing not vray. We have another Max 9 file with a huge 2.2 polygon mesh and no proxies that flies along, so my guess is that it'sa Max 7 proxy issue. Would hate to have to recreate thousands of proxies.....
                      Cheers
                      Mike K

Comment

I happen to have encountered similar problem using 3dsmax 2008 64 bit, large numbered of proxies ( 10-15k proxies). I could see 3dsmax is loading the scene and almost 95% intrying ending in unhandled error

Comment

Originally posted by mcnamex View Post
                          I happen to have encountered similar problem using 3dsmax 2008 64 bit, large numbered of proxies ( 10-15k proxies). I could see 3dsmax is loading the scene and almost 95% intrying ending in unhandled error
                          You might try switching to software display for opening the file, sometimes if the file is large and saved in shaded mode this will help.
                          Eric Boer
                          Dev

Comment

Working...
                          X