Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old raytracers

Hi!

Does anyone here come from old raytracers like Pearl, POV, GFA raytracer or similar, I used these on my humble Atari ST, and later bought a german very good animation and raytracer packade called NeoN I ran that on my Atari Falcon.. Those were the days, waiting 6 hours for a checkered floor and some spheres

/Tobias

ahh yes those were the days...
    sketching out your design on graph paper..
    then measuring the squares and inputing the coordinates into your .bat file
    i remember making a simulation of the solar system and 10 phong shaded spheres took 40 hours to render the 20 second animation lol

but these days i kinda like watching the max listener while im doin stuff.. its like POV but in reverse...

Comment

comming from a similar direction tho i didnt raytrace on my c64 :P

Been using Reflections (wich was the predecessor of monzoom wich was the predecessor of c4d) and good ole 3d Studio R4 on DOS....was kinda advanced already actually..

Regards,
      Thorsten

Comment

I had to use a special app on my Atari ST that boosted the colour palette from 4095, 16 colours on screen in 320x200 to a staggering 19200 colours at once on screen, took a while to render the image and the cpu was almost killed showing the image, but that app still amazes me I think it was called PhotoChrome.
        /Tobias

Comment

the 1st 3d program i used was truespace 1.0 back in 93 or 94 i forget

---------------------------------------------------
          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I started with AutoShade with AutoCAD in around '87.

Comment

POV Ray, Then 3ds DOS r2 and the Alias Power animator, the Max in beta and the Maya in beta....
              Two heads are better than one ...
              ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

I used an app called Render Bender (raytrace only I think) on the Acorn Archimedes around 1991 - I still have a video somewhere with 5 f.p.s renders of balls bouncing on, you guessed it, chequerboards -
                (not your ordinary up and down bouncing, mine went left to right, I thought it would be more fun - just change the sin x and y code around)
                oh and a green glass plane that rotates into the viewport to cover a pyramid - that one was high res 480x360
                and then I did proper paid work using Strata 3d on a Mac in 94, a very good raytracer imho - I remember going to a presentation for 3ds dos (v3?) at the time - which was 5 times the cost of Strata and no built in raytracing

Comment

Played with pov ray, the real3d, then imagine on the amiga, ah deluxe paint...sorry not a raytracer but fond memories. lightwave was after and then had to leave the wonderful world of 3d within windows for 3ds R4 in dos then max1 and so forth from then on.

Man I remember the pain of having to use flat mirror reflections in R4 or switching from shaper to lofter and the 6 slot material, editor hmmm 6 slots.

Comment

I started just as max 7 was coming out :3

I did used to enjoy digging up old renderers/dead software though, found it fascinating to see how far weve come so quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X