Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to under-clock computer?

Here is an unusual problem for overclockers:

I have an old Athlon 2800MHz on Abit KV7 motherboard computer which I want to give to my son to play games on. Problem is that CPU and NorthBridge temperature are extremelly high when in full working mode (CPU=68deg C and NB=80deg C). I put some thermal paste under both and that lowered temp for couple of degrees but not significantly. One guy in the comp.shop told me that the problem is with the MB.

So, I thought if I halved the clock speed that would lower the temp as well and all is right and I don't need to part with Aud $800!!

Am I right and how that can be done? By lowering voltage in the BIOS??

Thanks for your response

Zoran

you'd lower the fsb number, which will allow you to lower the voltage.

if you just lowered the voltage without lowering the fsb it would crash. lowering the fsb, will lower the cpu speed and the ram speed and the HT and pci speeds all together.
    WerT
    www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

I wouldn't under clock it at all but you are getting near dangerous cpu temperatures (dangerous being what I wouldn't run a cpu above, not what would explode).

A very common mistake with thermal paste is applying too much. Applying too much thermal compound actually will retain heat and not transfer it to the heatsink. Make sure you used the recommended amount (no more than a pea sized drop) when applying it.

A simpler solution would be to spend $35-$45 to get yourself a nice big heatsink for the cpu. Make sure the design is such that the fan blows straight down on the mb so you get the added affect of air flowing over the northbridge as well. Spend some good money on this component and you won't be upset.

-Colin
      Colin Senner

Comment

Thanks for your replys guys. I'll certanly try your suggestions over the weekend

Regards

Zoran

Comment

Yeah underclocking isnt the fix for this situation. Its more of a bandaid solution.

As moondoggie said less is more with thermalpaste (well to an extent anyway)
          Also make sure there is no dust/gunk in the heatsinks and that the case has a good airflow.

Comment

also, make sure exhaust fans are pointing the correct way (outside the case) (I've seen this more than once) and DaForce's suggestion of making sure the sinks are clean is a good one too.
            Colin Senner

Comment

Just a little upgrade in case someone else came with such a brilliant idea:

Don't do it. It's not worthwile.

I crashed my system, had to reset the bios settings and reconfigure it again. Sadly, I found, the next day, on tom's shareware a tut how to do this and they droped an athlon from 2600MHz to 800Mhz and that dropped temperature a lousy 5 deg C!!
              Now I know, he he

It was a good fun, though!

Z.

Comment

Also make sure you insides are dust free, try buying a can or compressed air and blowing out the case, a good case fan and cpu fan would also setup you back less than $50 CDN....
                Two heads are better than one ...
                ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Canadian money isn't even real...
                  Colin Senner

Comment

Also make sure you insides are dust free, try buying a can or compressed air and blowing out the case, a good case fan and cpu fan would also setup you back less than $50 CDN....
                    Two heads are better than one ...
                    ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Working...
                    X