is Autodesk Cleaner the only option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Autodesk Cleaner the only option?

I'm looking into software for encoding needs. We do a lot of mpg's (currently I use Tmpeg because it's free, but I really shouldn't because it's not for personal use and I'd like to purchase something). But we also do mov's, I'd like to do some streaming things, and could possibly use other formats as well. We are mostly limited because powerpoint doesn't like many formats.

I'm a little suprised Adobe didn't seem to have anything that I noticed.

Anyone know anything aside from Cleaner?

If there are other apps, does anyone have opinions on what's the best for the money? Cleaner is 599 USD for the full version, in case you want to compare the software you have.

We'd really like somthing with a floating license also because I have a few computers, and we might want to use it for a couple different users, just not at the same time.

I'm interested to know what you all use, if anything aside from AfterEffects, Premier, Combustion, or Shake. (I dont' have combustion or Shake).

sorenson squeeze is cheaper - its marketed as a web centric flash video thing but it can output to quicktime/wmv/mp4 and has lots of batch features
    -I've never used it for mpeg myself so dont know how good it is there

the interface is not nice!
    I seem to remember Cleaner isnt that great to use either

Comment

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html
      this one is 100$..

Comment

aphex79 - that's what I'm using right now, but the only formats are mpg1 and mpg2, and you only have to pay if you want mpg2. IMO Adobe does mpg2 fine right out of the box. Other than the fact that it crashes All the time when doing mpg2.

I haven't looked at squeeze. I'll check that out. Thanks for the name. Although, it's only slightly cheaper. still worth a look though.
        I immagine I'd be able to get more help with cleaner though, if I need it.

Comment

http://www.dv.com/video/transcoders.php

DV has a review of seven transcoders... including Squeeze and Cleaner.

Comment

I'm using all tools from Sorenson for some years now, and it serves all my needs. I simply generate an uncompressed AVI with 48bit sound from AE or Fusion and then a Sorenson batch just generates all the needed files (MPEG, FLV, WMV, QT, etc) so my clients don't have anything left to desire. The most stressful period during a project is when all frames are rendering, because there are always little errors that need you to stay alert. After that I'm not in the mood for "complex"/'brainless" tasks like CD/DVD burning and/or compression, so all these post-tasks are batched and Sorenson just fits these needs. Be aware that you need different settings depending on te looks (speed, color amount, smooth gradients, etc)...

Comment

well based off those reviews the sorenson one looks better. They fixed most of what they called Cons, and Cleaner didn't. So I think I might suggest that.

Do you know if they have a floating license of that? And do you know if that can utilize multiple computers to process on a single license? I suppose I could talk to one of their sales people for that, but if you know I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Cleaner can also be used through BackBurner if you need some network processing power.

Comment

ah.. sorry

Comment

mediacoder will encode mostly everything in its path

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net

Comment

well hey. I like to see open source stuff. I'll give that one a try and see what kind of results there are.

Comment

Well Digital Juice is having a huge sale - 50% off several plugins when you buy one of their products. So, for $250 you can get Sorensen Squeeze:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products...?cid=1&pvid=18

Just add one of these:
                        http://www.digitaljuice.com/enewslet...sand_deals.asp

for $15 and you get Squeeze for $265 total.

Comment

there's always Bink at www.radgametools.com and it's free.
                          mh

Comment

can a video encoded with Bink be put into powerpoint?

I think the problem would be, if I gave someone one of those videos they may not be able to play it without downloading the codec, no?

Comment

bink doesnt require any codecs, its all included in the .exe.

not sure what powerpoint thinks of exe-files though...

Comment

Working...
                              X