Xp32 > Xp64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xp32 > Xp64

Simple question. If I order a computer that will only come with XP pro 32, what's the cheapest way to upgrade it to XP64? I know I can buy an OEM for about $130 but it seems that it really shouldn't cost anything because all I want to do is trade 32 for 64.

I should rephrase. Is there a way to "upgrade" from 32 to 64?
    Last edited by powerandrubber; 10-01-2008, 10:31 AM.
    "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
    -Mitch Hedberg

Why cant you order a pc with winxp 64?
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by natty View Post
      Why cant you order a pc with winxp 64?
      Some manufacturers dont support xp64 on their machines. When I bought mr Rock CTX Pro laptop I had the choice of xp32 bit or Vista. At the time I went with xp32 bit but called them yesterday about upgrading to xp64. They said I could do it and it wouldn't affect my warranty but I'd have to track the drivers down myself and there might not be xp64 drivers available for all the components i.e. network, graphics card etc. I guess it could be the same with other manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by powerandrubber View Post
        Simple question. If I order a computer that will only come with XP pro 32, what's the cheapest way to upgrade it to XP64? I know I can buy an OEM for about $130 but it seems that it really shouldn't cost anything because all I want to do is trade 32 for 64.

I should rephrase. Is there a way to "upgrade" from 32 to 64?
        I think there is restrictions with buying OEM software. The way I understand it is you have to buy at least a processor, motherboard, memory and a harddisk in order to be able to purchase OEM software.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsay View Post
          I think there is restrictions with buying OEM software. The way I understand it is you have to buy at least a processor, motherboard, memory and a harddisk in order to be able to purchase OEM software.

there are plenty of places that sell OEM x64 without having to buy hardware, but yes you are right ramsey, in principle, but there is nothing to stop you from buying it..
          Natty
          http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

You can't just trade an XP32bit license for a 64bit one. Either you fork over the $130+ for another license of Windows, or find a systems vendor that does support 64bit. The second option is better because if you replace Windows yourself, the vendor probably won't honor support requests.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsay View Post
              Microsoft has allowed vendors to sell x64 OEM versions without hardware. I did the same thing for my work system.
              www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
              @home:
              / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
              / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
              @work:
              / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
              Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
              / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

The particular system I'm looking at doesn't offer a 64 bit OS, that's why I was wondering if there was another avenue. It's a small form factor Dell Optiplex that I really like, the price is right and it's small and light enough to pack around. No big deal I'll probably just get a shuttle XPC barebone instead and buy an OEM XP 64.

Oh yes and I've tried telling Dell on the phone that I think it's up to me what OS I want/use but that just turns into an Abbot and Costello routine only not funny.
                Last edited by powerandrubber; 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM.
                "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
                -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                X