Live shadows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live shadows

Am I supposed to be seeing real time shadows and lights in my MAX VP. When I add a v-ray sun and move it around should I be able to see a hardware shadow? If so, how? If not, why?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

viewport shading

From what I see here I can, but how?

Viewport Renderer

* The multithreaded viewport maximizes productivity and creativity; adaptive degradation technology automatically simplifies the scene display to meet user-defined target frame rates.
    * DirectX® viewport shading displays materials as they would appear in other real-time applications.
    * Support for all shader types is available via MAXScript—including HLSL and Cg shaders—along with shader performance enhancements. Work with CgFX files alongside .fx files in the viewport.
    * Review: users get immediate feedback on various render settings, including:
    o GPU-based, real-time shadow support, including support for self-shadowing and up to 64 lights simultaneously
    o Sun/Sky Workflow support: interactive previewing of objects/scenes using the 3ds Max Sun/Sky system
    o Support for mental ray Architectural and Design material settings

ActiveShade

* Preview window lets the user evaluate lighting and material changes to a scene.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It is from max2008 - you should do right mouse click on your lights then go to vieport lighting and shadows and then just turn it on (viewport shading - best).
      Attached Files
      I just can't seem to trust myself
      So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
      ---------------------------------------------------------
      CG Artist

Comment

This does not appear to work with Viz 2008.............can anyone confirm please?

Comment

Viewport shading

I am using MAX 9, does this apply? I do get dark and light, but no shadows. If I have a box all sides will be back except for the side that has direct light. If I put something i front of the box, blocking the light, I don't get any shadow.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

As its already been said. Its a max 2008 thing. Which kinda rules out max 9

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
            X