Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP w2408h monitor crazy colors!

Hi all,
    so I finally got this HP pavillion, off the shelve, quad 6700 computer, for about $1700 with taxes and everything.
    The machine came with the HP 24" LCD panel, w2408h.

I set it up, and played with my new toy. Max and Vray are just screaming on this thing and Vista "looks" pretty good, althought it is fundamentally an XP with eye candies.

So far so good.

Then, I started to look at some pictures.
    Bad.
    Everything had a slight pastorization. Colors were weird.

I begun to look at some of my renderings, stuff that I had just completed and was pretty happy about.

Guys, OMG!!

The images look owfull. Everything is overbright (my beautiful terracotta building became pink!), and I can see, in some supposed-to-be-smooth areas, where a color stops and another begins!
    Glossy noise increased behind acceptable, colors are off, gradients are, again, visible.
    A 3D renderer nightmare.

You may say, well you need calibration. The thing is, I know what a non-calibrated monitor can look like. I had several CRTs, and I have 57 LCD at work. I can see how a monitor may differ from another, BUT, a balanced rendering will still look somehow decent on the worst monitor I can remember. You can tell the monitor is off, but the images are still within decency.

This one is really *crazy* off.

I will have to bring back my old Apple Cinema 22", still looking amazing, expecially compared to this one.

Now, you guys have any explanation for this?
    Is it true that there are 2 types of LCD, and the cheap one has only 6bit depth colors? Because that would explain it....Althought it would not explain the color crazy rendition.

Anyways, any advice for a good flat panel? I mean, I am not a color correction expert, but again, I am working with monitors all the time, and I have never seen a screen so off-scale, out of the box. I do not need a professionally calibrated monitor, just a good LCD...

For now, cinema it is...eheheh

thank you

regards

gio

You should probably ask for a replacement of your monitor, if possible. I myself have a Samsung 244t and I'm quite happy with it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni View Post
      Is it true that there are 2 types of LCD, and the cheap one has only 6bit depth colors? Because that would explain it....Althought it would not explain the color crazy rendition.
      Yes, it's true, and it does explain the crazy colors - the monitor can't create them so it has to dither to a different color. And the 6-bit panels, while fast, are crap for color reproduction anyway.

Comment

yea, after some research I found out 8bit LCD can display 16.7 million colors. Anything less or if the spec is missing form the spec sheet of the monitor, you got a 6bit.

HP web site carefully avoids to specify color depth or number of colors...Hence, it is indeed a 6bit. Besides, how can it cost half of the 23" Apple cinema display?

I am afraid a replacement will be useless. I will need to contact HP and see if I can exchang it with an 8bit...

Thank you

regards

gio

Comment

Working...
        X