Max question - Modeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max question - Modeling

I have been modeling a couple pieces of furnitire from the Smith and Hawkin catalogs for some interiors. Question. I only started using Max in the past year or so, so I still model everything in Autocad. The website has profile and side elevations of the furniture, so I just extrude the sides a couple of inches and then do the front and etc. But I want the edges to have a " sanded" looks to them....I guess you would say chamfered!! What is the better way to go about this. I am really never that close to the furniture, so it doesn't matter really. But if I can get a better product in less time..etc..etc... Should I bring in the profile to Max then model?

Thanx all
    Eric Camper
    Studio 3D
    www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Furniture

First, it is Easter Sunday so why the heck are you working??? You can do a chamfer edge in MAX. It is a modifier..... or you can try this:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R...tex_params.htm
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

hehe...All that is over my friend...Kids are in the bath...Wait!!!! Yup...Still beathing... LOL and all the eggs and candy accounted for. Cool dude....I will check that out...Thanx

Edit:

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! Why are YOU working??? The kettle calling the....wait...black calling someone a teapot...or is it....ahh nevermind.
      Last edited by EricCamper; 23-03-2008, 04:33 PM.
      Eric Camper
      Studio 3D
      www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

Um, chamfer edge is not a modifier, it's an editable poly tool. Just thought that should be cleared up.
        - Geoff

Comment

As long as you're in 2008, convert to editable poly. You can then chamfer or fillet (actually chamfer with multiple edges) whatever you need.
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Rounded edges are always an issue but they are a must if you are aiming to more realistic look (ex. more faces are available to create highlights)
            Following the link at the end of these lines you will find a great summary of different methods to attack the problem; my personal preference (I'm still on Viz 2008 ) goes, as first choice, to double chamfer: first value must be 3 times larger than second value (more or less); as second choice (only for simple geometries) to EdgeChEx modifier plus turbosmooth

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educat..._the_edges.htm

hope it helps
            Alessandro

Comment

Exactly. Except in Max 2008, Edit poly allows you do that in one step.
              "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

I will second the suggestion of trying out the VRayEdgeTex. I have had quite a bit of success using it on imported cad geometry(from Revit). You do have to be careful about the smoothing that pre-exists on the geometry though, it can sometimes conflict with the edges texture. It is worth a shot, at least to become familiar with it's functionality.
                Ben Steinert
                pb2ae.com

Comment

Working...
                X