X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that laptop question again

Hi guys,
    Same old question what laptop to buy.
    want something fast -weight and price not really a concern.
    Probably will want xp pro 32 to match the rest of the office environment.
    If it was xp64 would that be compatible with the rest of the network on xp32 and can DR be mixed 32 and 64 bit .....would be nice to have more ram.
    Not thinking macbook ....mainly because no experience with them...but open to being convinced.
    Oh i assume still stay clear of vista for using autocad...max....v-ray.....etc.

All comments welcome

Cheers
    Tdarcy

Are you looking for a 'desktop replacement' or something you can cart back and forth to work? Regardless, I'd stay away from laptops that have Intel graphics chipsets. I'm not impressed with mine. I think a Nvidia chipset is the way to go.

Personally, I would never buy a laptop again unless I start to do a ton of travelling or presenting - huge waste of money with very few upgrade paths. Presentations can be done on an older laptop. If it's simply for checking the basics remotely, I'd be interested in getting an Asus EEE.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Thanks for the reply jujubee,
      Its not really a desk top replacement more of an additional render machine for use at home and work when necessary. My old Toshiba satelite pro has been working hard for about 4 years now but is beginning to show its age and the fan sounds like its about to come flying out the side of the case some day soon hehe.

Cheers
      Tdarcy

Comment

The mac book is a bit pricey but not so much more than other laps tops with the same configuration, We priced them vs the Dells (we can only buy Dell or Apple..)and they are similar in price for the same features. There are some keyboard issues, you would have to do a bit of shortcut remapping in Max....but they are nice laptops.
        Two heads are better than one ...
        ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Thanks Mike for the reply,
          The thing about a mac that gets me is the old boot camp thing seems to be a bit of a hack which might give problems in the future.

Comment

Bootcamp seems to work well for some people. I could be wrong as I don't have a newer Mac now.

Oh also - stay away from Compaq/HP. I've had nothing but really big problems from them.

Comment

I have a MacBook Pro and have had no problems with bootcamp, overall performance is great... but one thing about this laptop is that it can really heat up... you could probably fry an egg on it. I am afraid of doing some intense many hour rendering on it, fearing it might get way too hot, even with the fan running at full speed.

Comment

Good to know, thankyou

Comment

Agreed on the Compaq/Hp comment. My last laptop from them would die anytime the RAM took a huge hit, along with a few other fun issues. It took a number of increasingly emphatic calls until they replaced the motherboard; widespread problem. A friend bought another model a few years later, only to find out the same problem existed.

Comment

I have a 2yrs old Sony Vaio, and have been pleased with it's performace for the entire time I have owned it. It has NVidia graphics. It came with XP 32, but I have since installed Vista and it still runs great.
                    Ben Steinert
                    pb2ae.com

Comment

Agreed on the Compaq/Hp comment. My last laptop from them would die anytime the RAM took a huge hit, along with a few other fun issues. It took a number of increasingly emphatic calls until they replaced the motherboard; widespread problem. A friend bought another model a few years later, only to find out the same problem existed.
                      Ever since they bought up Compaq their products/support went to the toilet. My laptop had a bad harddrive right from purchase. I waited one week for a replacement. The only reason I bought it was because PC World rated it their top 100 product that year - I don't trust PC World at all now.

1 year and 1 day later, the laptop died again. I called up and they said my product was out of warranty. I fought and fought and got nowhere. Finally, I wrote the Better Business Bureau then HP called me up personally to apologize and replace it with an additional 1 year warranty.

As for their other products, I'm on a third replacement for an all-in-one 8150 within one year. Their tech support sucks. No more HP/Compaq for me even though my cousin is Vice President for Compaq Asia. They can all go to hell.

Comment

What do you think of this spec guys

novatech laptop
                        Microsoft Windows XP Professional £1989.01 inc vat

Screen 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 TFT Screen
                        Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Mobile X9000 6MB Cache Dual Core Processor
                        Processor Speed 2 x 2.8GHz
                        Memory 4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory
                        Hard Drive 200GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
                        Drive Blu Ray Reader DVD/RW Multi Burner
                        Modem 56K Internal Modem
                        Graphics Nvidia 8800M GTX 512mb PCI Express Graphics
                        Sound Azalia High Definition Audio With SRS WOW Surround Sound
                        Speakers 2 x 1.5 Watt & 1 x 2 Watt Sub Woofer
                        Memory Slots 2 x DDR2 SO-DIMM
                        Memory Capacity 4GB
                        Audio In Port 1 x Mic-in
                        Audio Out Port 1 x H'phone/Speakers & S/PDIF Output
                        Networking Port 1 x Gigabit LAN & 802.11n Draft Wireless LAN
                        serial Port Yes
                        Ext Monitor Port 1 x DVI-D Port
                        Power Socket AC Power Adapter
                        USB Ports 4 x USB 2.0
                        PCMCIA Port 1 x Express Card Slot (34/54)
                        Firewire Port 1 x Mini IEEE 1394a Firewire
                        Bluetooth Yes
                        Webcam 1.3 Mega Pixel
                        Carry Case Yes
                        AC Adaptor AC Adapter Supplied
                        Internal Battery 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
                        Touchpad Glidepad with 2 buttons & scroll button
                        Scroll Button 1 x scroll button
                        Dimensions (mm) 44h x 397w x 284d
                        Warranty 12 Mths RTB
                        Weight 3.95Kg with battery
                        OS Compliance Windows XP/Vista
                        Notes 7 In 1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/SD/MMC/RS MMC/MS Duo/Mini-SD), Bluetooth & 1.3MP WebCam

Comment

It has good specs, but I've never heard of the manufacturer.

If you're going to be lugging this around constantly, you may want to consider weight - how much does that come in at?

Comment

Not really worried about weight......house-car-office only 50 metres
                            Its about £1650 with no vat i.e. for business

Comment

you want a laptop

HEre ya go ive had my system for about 4 years and it still rocks these new labtops are quad cores, no one in my opinion is near their technology. The original manufacturer is Called Clevo and they are distribures by www.pro-star.com. These are the barebones that Alienware first started using when i would work for them. They ahve the best prices here,

http://www.xtremenotebooks.com/

go here for specs:

http://www.xtremenotebooks.com/index...&model_id=1266

17" High Contrast Glossy WIDE UXGA or SXGA+ Active Matrix Display with 30ms response

Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6000 series with an 8MB On Die Cache and up to 4 CPUs running at 2.66GHZ EACH or
                              Intel® Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition CPU with up to 4MB On-die L2 Cache on a 1066Mhz front Side Bus.

Up to 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz RAM

Choose from Dual NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX or nVIDIA® GeForce™ 8700M GT with 512MB GDDR3 VideoRAM with SLI on an MXM graphics slot.
                              Up to Triple SATA 300 HDD capable with RAID 0, 1 or 5 array hardware controller
                              ATAPI Optical Drive Dual Layer with DVD±R/RW 16x10x24 Option
                              Built in 7-in-4 Card Reader, Digital Web Camera and Intel® Azalia® Compliant High Definition Audio w/SRS WOW Support - 3D Stereo Enhanced 8 Channel Output!
                              Built in Intel 3945ABG Mini PCI Wireless 802.11G, 802.11N and Bluetooth option
                              Built In Mini PCI TV Tuner Option
                              Ruben Gil
                              www.spvisionz.com
                              www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Working...
                              X