Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible alternative to onyx?

http://exlevel.com/

The gallery images look quite nice Not got time to trial it just now unfortunately, I will be keeping an eye on it's development though.

Comment

this looks nice!
      My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

Hrmm.. they don't render in Vray; empty scene warning? And you can't convert them to editable meshes or polys using the demo.

Comment

I'm testing demo of this plugin now. Excellent! Customisable structure, influences, all-in-one. It seems to be better than onyx and xfrog. I strongly recommend to all to download demo and help file and try it

Comment

Originally posted by Ktoeto View Post
            ...It seems to be better than onyx and xfrog...
            Hmmm...I find it really too slow when trees are getting around the 500K polygons. I design 3M poly trees in Onyx and XFrog with ease and good feedback. I hoped GrowFX was a good tool for making all kinds of hedges and sorts, but interactivity is really bad. Of course if you only use the most simple leaves without any branches, things go OK, but if you want something more complex everything halts. For a procedural modeling system I prefer a node-nased structure as XFrog has. GrowFX works layerbased and you have to go into the parameter palets to see how everything is structured: this way you don't have any insight on how everything is ordered.

What I like is the ability to animate any parameter which makes possibilities endless. But for making just trees and use them as static meshes, this system is way too complex !!

Comment

Anybody else give this a try and have some feedback?
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

I know these questions are a pain, but I am wondering which of the common tree generating progrmas (onyx, xfrog, or maybe this new one) is the easiest to learn? I am quoting a job that may need me to make a tree, or at least modify a stock model but I have never even looked at these vegetation programs. Any suggestions for a one off, moderate detail level required kind of tree job? It won't need to by hyper realistic as it will be made out of various odd substances, it just needs to be "tree shaped" etc.

Thanks!
                b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

The easiest? Onyx, without a doubt. There is a learning curve but it's only about terminology, Xfrog and GrowFX require you to get the hang of l-systems and more generic terms that just happen to look like a tree.

Comment

Thanks duke2 - appreciate it.
                    b
                    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Xfrog isn't really a tree generator as much as it is a tree modeler. Onyx would be my suggestion as well...but just to throw it out there because it might fit your needs for free, check out arbaro.
                      Ben Steinert
                      pb2ae.com

Comment

Great- thanks for the advice and link! I'd never heard of Arbaro.

Much appreciated.

b
                        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
                        X