Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to old AVI codecs from old 3ds Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to old AVI codecs from old 3ds Max?

Hi All

In old max (version 5 and before) I use to be able to save an AVI file directly from MAX using all kinds of codecs like cinepack, Intel Indeo, Microsoft MP4 etc. But I've noticed with MAX 2008 (using Vista) I only have 3 deafults namely:
    1. DV Video Encoder
    2. MJPEG Compressor
    3. Uncompressed

What's up here? Even if I install K-lite codec pack I still don't get any other codec options in MAX for saving avi files. Well yes I know almost nobody use AVI anymore and eveybody uses MOV and WMV, but that is a whole different story. I think from old max (2.5) I was able to save mov files also, but that was a long time ago so I might be wrong about that one.

So what gives? Anybody have any suggestions?
    Also see my thread here:
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=41987

Please help!
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

I believe only the x86 versions have those codecs. I had the same problem recently while using Virtual Dub x64.
    When I used the x86 version I could choose Cinecpac for example
    www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
    @home:
    / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
    / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
    @work:
    / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
    / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

yep, if you are on x64 and using a x64 app, you will only see the codecs specifically made for x64.
      you can bypass this by installing the x86 version of vitualdub for example and your x86 codecs will be of use.

as a sidenote; I am not a big fan of codecpacks anymore, they can screw things up badly. I use ffdshow now and it has all modern codecs in just one container, really useful.

Comment

When I need to play files, I use GOM Player or VLC Player. They play pretty much everything.
        www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
        @home:
        / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
        / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
        @work:
        / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
        Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
        / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

yeah, but clients usually don't have that.
          The challenge is to compress an animation to something that can be played on a standard unpolluted computer or mac. Unfortunately that means many times you are stuck to WMV, Mpeg, Mov or Avi without exotic codecs. Xvid or H.264 might be considered "standard" to some communities, but most of our clients don't even know what a codec is, let alone that they can or are allowed to install it.

Comment

If you have the ability to make them, FLV (flash video) is pretty good.
            Other then that, wmv is good for clueless people and h264 or xvid is good for people who knows how to use them (they're usually the only ones who cares that much about picture quality anyway).
            Motion JPG is a horrible codec, DV is really not much use except for use with DV systems and Uncompressed is pointless. So you're not missing out on much. Cinepak is pretty worthless as well.
            If rendering animations, it's best to either use picture sequences or a codec like Lagarith. "lossy" codecs like Xvid works too but they are a lot more effective if you convert to them "after" the animation is done so they can take full advantage of their motion tracking algorithms.

Don't ever install a codec pack. Even the best of them can seriously mess up your system.
            If you need to play an obscure codec, either use a media player with built in codec support, (Media Player Classic, KMPlayer, VLC or similar)
            or install FFDShow.
            MPC+FFDshow is my preference. That combination can play anything.

Comment

do I use the basic ffdshow found here: (seems old)
              http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

or do i use ffdshow MPEG-4 found here: (seems newer)
              http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

Not sure if they the same thing or not. The 2nd looks like a codec pack and you guys mentioned not to install codec packs.
              Now I'm confused.
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

They are the same thing.
                The original FFDShow project was abandoned. It's being kept alive here:
                http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/ but they only host the "stable" versions.
                http://www.codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm is the best place to download them. They are usually only a couple of days old.

Comment

thanks Shimakaze

checking it out now...
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Working...
                  X