max 2008 vs max 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max 2008 vs max 2009

I am not sure if this has been discussed already... If yes, excuse my french !

So,
    Recently i am working mainly under 2008 and i would say, i am quite happy with it...
    Stability, etc, bla bla... yes, sometimes it just blows out without any warning what-so-ever...

So, anyone tested both and has an oppinion ?
    Would be great to know ... or to wait for some SP.

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

I would say that its worth switching to max 2009, just because of its navigation cube. I mean come on...it has occlusion shadow!!
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I've been using max 2009 64bit now for over a month and I have discovered Lots of annoyances, probably safe to say bugs, that are making me second guess my choice. Here's some stuff I found to be annoying:

-2009 will crash left and right without grabing the hotfix from autodesk which is still in an unofficial release condition last I checked.

-I disabled viewcube as soon as opened 2009 for the first time. What can be more simple then hitting "T" for topview, etc.

-Photometric lights tend to randomly reset their energy values on scene load

-Viewports will regularly pop out to Perspective view just by clicking or dragging an object

-Half the time, the viewport you have chose to work in isn't fully functional without selecting it for a second time (walk thru mode sometimes unavailable inm perspective view on first try)

I can't say anything about the performance boost yet because I havn't used it long enough but the latest nvidia drivers for the 8800gtx don't seem to work well in directx mode, major graphics gliches.

Ok I'm done for now

Comment

viewcube is horrible
        new select by name is horrible
        new render region/crop scheme is horrible
        Can still get it to crash when appending material while texture is visible in viewport
        Hate that the mat editor defaults to a bunch of mentalray mats.

All I can think of for now.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
          I would say that its worth switching to max 2009, just because of its navigation cube. I mean come on...it has occlusion shadow!!

hahhaahahahahahahahahaah u got me
          Best regards,
          Andrian

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman View Post
            viewcube is horrible
            Can still get it to crash when appending material while texture is visible in viewport

The select by name you can change back to the old one just by editing the ini file in your user profile max folder
            "C:\......\......\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\20 09 - 64bit\enu\defaults\MAX
            then edit the CurrentDefaults.ini file and change
            SelectByNameUsesSceneExplorer=1 to SelectByNameUsesSceneExplorer=0
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman View Post
              viewcube is horrible

I totally second that, and I think I'm going switch back to Max 2008 for my next project.
              www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
              @home:
              / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
              / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
              @work:
              / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
              Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
              / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

It'd be good to get these remarks infornt of someone over there at Autodesk. One thing I did notice, which blew me out of the water, is that I actually got a reply to an error report from someone at Autodesk. Who knows, it's worth a shot.

Comment

Can't seem to get that ini file change to work. Any ideas? I've changed it to '0' in two different ini files but it still loads as before.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Richard Birket
                  ----------------------------------->
                  http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                    Can't seem to get that ini file change to work. Any ideas? I've changed it to '0' in two different ini files but it still loads as before.
                    Yeah, you have to find the correct one. It writes like 8 of them to various places on your HD unless you disable the settings per username feature, and path all user paths to your C:\Max2009 folder.

Search your whole C:\ drive for *.ini
                    "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

mmm... I've tried in the following locations but can't find anymore:
                      C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2009\Defaults\DesignVIZ\FactoryDefaults
                      C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2009\Defaults\DesignVIZ.mentalray\FactoryDefaults
                      C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2009\Defaults\MAX\FactoryDefaults
                      C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2009\Defaults\MAX.mentalray\FactoryDefaults
                      Kind Regards,
                      Richard Birket

Comment

I may have exaggerated...

Actually, there should be some here, if you have relative user paths:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2008 - 64bit\enu

I'm in 2008, but I think this feature works the same way...
                        Last edited by Clifton Santiago; 11-06-2008, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Odd. I only seem to have a 3dsmax.ini file in the following location, and it doesn't have a 'SelectByNameUsesSceneExplorer' string in it:
                          C:\Documents and Settings\richard.birket\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2009 - 64bit\enu

There isn't a CurrentDefaults.ini file in there.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Richard Birket

Comment

Found it! It was in:
                            C:\Documents and Settings\richard.birket\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2009 - 64bit\enu\defaults\MAX

Not sure why searching the whole C:\ drive didn't find it? I even had show all files etc switched on.
                            Kind Regards,
                            Richard Birket

Comment

Okay, just checked on my test build where I have 2009. I have a CurrentDefaults.ini in these folders:

C:\3dsMax2009\Defaults\DesignVIZ\FactoryDefaults
                              C:\3dsMax2009\Defaults\DesignVIZ.mentalray\Factory Defaults
                              C:\3dsMax2009\Defaults\MAX\FactoryDefaults
                              C:\3dsMax2009\Defaults\MAX.mentalray\FactoryDefaul ts
                              C:\3dsMax2009\Defaults\MAX.vray\FactoryDefaults
                              C:\Documents and Settings\aaronc\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2009 - 64bit\enu\defaults\MAX

EDIT: Oh, sorry. You already found it.

Comment

Working...
                              X