Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source files - how to cost

Hi Vrayers,

Ive recently had a client asked for the 3d source files for a project I am quoting for. I normally just give them to the client, but he stated that I needed to add them to the cost of the quote.

After speaking to a friend, he told me that he charges for the source files also, something which I was not aware of.

So, with this in mind, does anyone have an idea of how to cost the files ? I have absolutely no idea.

Thanks in advance

Steve
    Last edited by stevesideas; 02-07-2008, 04:27 AM.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

I NEVER give my clients the 3d-files... they pay for the images/anims and thats what they get.
    Its taken me 7 years of 3d-work to get to the level Im at today. If I gave away my 3d-models my clients could just study them, copy my techniques, and after awhile they wouldnt need my services anymore...

Ive never had a client complain about this... but maybe ive just been lucky?

If you really have to sell the files to a client for some reason I think you should charge them ALOT since what youre really selling is an advanced lesson in 3d/vray

just my opinion...
    /K

Comment

I'd give them (quote for) the model only, minus lighting, textures etc.
      www.meetup.com/3DLondon

Comment

skogskalle - Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll put a cost to them and see what they say.

sjmoir - Yeah, maybe strip away the important elements. Cheers
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I have recently discussed this issue with peers, and there is no industry stardard rate for selling arch vis models. I try and avoid it, especially if the client is shuffling the model to a third party/competitor.

If I have to sell it, I usually add up the man hours, calculate the production cost of the model, and then multiply by 4 or 5. Its usually so large the client won't buy it.

It can be difficult to convince the architect/associate/partner to ask the client for such a high fee for the model because they don't understand the value. Occasionally, a particularly uninformed partner will promise a model to the client for free, without consulting me.

Regardless of how much the client pays, I always completely strip the model of all proprietary stuff like lights, materials, modifier stacks, etc. by collapsing to editable mesh, and often by exporting to DWG, and then back into Max. I also try and weld everything together into one object if possible.

I am trying to get the the client contract with our company changed so that it specifies exactly what the client is getting for visualisation services: Only renderings or multimedia content and no models, unless specifically requested and agreed upon in advance. And also, we retain the copyright on everything we produce.

However, if we are outsourcing to an external vis company that we are hiring, I give them everything. I know most of the people we hire in this way, and they usually do the same if we take a job back in house.
          Last edited by Clifton Santiago; 02-07-2008, 04:29 AM.
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Interesting stuff. I actually emailed the client to let them know they could have the max scene (with animations and models), but all lighting and texturing would be stripped out.

The animation isnt too complicated, only some text and some purchased models, and a few country models, but its all in white so not really any texturing as such, its more about the lighting.

I think thats fair enough. Its really my animation they will be getting with the source file. I guess if it was more complicated and I had built all the models from scratch then the price would be higher than ive quoted.
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
              The animation isnt too complicated, only some text and some purchased models
              that may be a problem, re selling a commercial model which you have in turn purchased elsewhere that is.
              this is something to take into account when handing scenes to clients. there's often lot of commercial, third party, stuff in there: 3d people, plants, textures.. which you can't give away.

unless clearly agreed before hand, I wouldn't hand over any scene. and even if that was the case nothing more than geometry exported as dxf.

Comment

What about sketchup models ? Can they be used within animations ? I cant find info on the warehouse site regarding licences. Im not even sure if the models are going to be high enough quality. Im guessing not.
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Ha. I don't think anyone would pay money for a sketchup model
                  "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Yeah, at first I was thinking that the models probably wouldnt be good enough. The client just wants white models...more as representations. There will be motion blur and quick camera fly bys, so im thinking I may be able to get away with using them..
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

We approach this like this: the models and textures that they paid for belong to them. This excludes models and textures we have purchased or created for our own use on multiple projects as well as the light setup and render settings. Basically they just get in 3d what was on the blueprints along with any cameras, custom textures and models that we created from scratch specifically for this project. We will apply a gray standard max material to the entire scene and give them a folder with all the textures that they paid for. (all references to VRay are removed)

By offering this to them, it shows that we are not being totally possessive with our files and are willing to work with them, but it also makes it so it would cost them tons of extra money to go elsewhere. When we explain why we can't share certain things, they always understand and just have us do the work. Usually they are just ignorant of the complexity of 3D. They think its like sending someone a cad file that anyone can just pick up and work on, so we have to educate them. So far, every experience has been positive in this respect.

Comment

Working...
                      X