Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsing the scene explorer

i just saw this : http://www.neilblevins.com/soulburns...pse_expand.htm

...and thought YES! then i read the heading 'wishlist', and thought NO!

anyone else frustrated by the scene explorer and it's great potential for overview, yet it's complete lack of overview due to such a simple thing as collapsing hierachies?

or more interesting, anyone so frustrated that they found a solution?
    Last edited by kimgar; 03-07-2008, 02:28 AM.

Yup, revert it to the old scene selector....

Make sure Max isn't running
    Make sure you have hidden files turned on
    Go to the following path:
    XP 32 bits: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\<version> - 32bit\enu\defaults\MAX
    XP 64 bits: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\<version> - 64bit\enu\defaults\MAX
    Vista 32 bits: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\ <version> - 32bit\enu\defaults\MAX\
    Vista 64 bits: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\ <version> - 64bit\enu\defaults\MAX\

Open CurrentDefaults.ini
    Replace SelectByNameUsesSceneExplorer=1 with SelectByNameUsesSceneExplorer=0 (bottom of the file)
    Save and run Max.
    www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
    @home:
    / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
    / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
    @work:
    / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
    / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

hah, that's great, thanks for the tip!

although, i think you are mixing up the scene selector and the scene explorer
      if i remember correctly, the old scene selector didn't even have any hierarchies to collapse/expand, no? that feature is actually ok, i just wish there was some more controls for it...
      Last edited by kimgar; 03-07-2008, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I probably just used the wrong name, but it's the same thing. The window that pops up when you press the "H" key :P

What annoyed me the most was the everything was always expanded, and not arranged by name. And no matter how many times you click the Name bar, it would always reset once you closed it.
        www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
        @home:
        / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
        / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
        @work:
        / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
        Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
        / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

Hey, thanks very much for this tip! This was one of the most annoying things in max recently...

Comment

it is actually two different explorers, there's the 'H' thing, and the one that i am talking about up in the tools menu under 'new/manage scene explorer' option

the one in the tools menu can also be sync'ed with viewports which is kind of nice

Comment

Working...
            X