Economic slowdown...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economic slowdown...

I'm surprised nobody has posted anything about this to date. The reason I bring it up is that, at least in Northern Ireland we're finding the amount of jobs to be taking a serious dip, nobody seems to want 3d visuals or animations at the moment. It's actually quite worrying to have a job that's so heavily reliant on a market that has totally gone to sh*t.

How're the rest of you finding the market at the minute? Particularly the UK. I explained to my bosses about diversifying, doing other things like product visualisation, but I think we could be too late. They should have done this a long time ago and now we'd not be in this situation. There was a reluctance to take on work that "wasn't their thing" and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass.

We dont do traditional resi work anymore so we're not doing too bad, but there have been a lot more job applications here than normal. Mostly from people who are terrible and getting laid off after a month or two somewhere small.

We're actually busier than we've been for a good 4/5 years now, it's been like this for a while. High end interior design, office tower blocks and private residencies in the 'mansion' area of size are all going stronger than ever.

We've considered doing some product work but i think it's just toying with the idea - too busy at the moment anyway so it may be a while away. Never too late to branch out.

Comment

Busy

I have been extremely busy the past couple months.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Luxury yacht sector has never been so busy. It took a bit of a hit a few years ago (at the start of the Iraq war) but has picked up. Definately good to get some 'high end' stuff on your books. It's never too late...
        .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

True it's not too late to branch out. I know I can step up to it, I just don't know about my work colleagues. They're all cad modelers - they love cad. Fair enough, I just prefer modelling in max.

I think Northern Ireland lags behind the rest of the UK anyway so whilst there is high end interior design going on, it's not at the same extent or same budgets as the south east.

Take for instance our product design industry here - it's tiny and mostly involves depressingly boring stuff like plastic tanks and industrial stuff, or wheelchairs! Yay!

Well, I will let you all know how the company does and if our strategies for getting through this work.

Comment

We're busy as hell. Our clients don't tend to be the type to run out of money..

Comment

Originally posted by biglolly View Post
              I think Northern Ireland lags behind the rest of the UK anyway so whilst there is high end interior design going on, it's not at the same extent or same budgets as the south east.
              We're in the north of the UK and most of our high end comes from london and dubai. All started from one job we did last year... once you get a foot in the door word spreads fast in that kind of work.

Comment

Yeah now is not a good time to be a small scale freelancer, i think this year and next will definately cut the men from the boys.
                If it gets any worse you lot should consider emigrating to the southern hemisphere, apparently in aussie unskilled construction labourers start on £12 an hour!

Comment

Working...
                X