Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll for HD animation

Does anyone know how to set up a P0ll thread to ask the question:

When rendering your animations, particularly in the ArchVis market, do you render to:
    A) PAL/NTSC standard definitions (inc widescreen format), or,
    B) HD standards (1080i or 1080p)
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

No idea how to set up a poll, perhaps you need to be a moderator.

You should add a 720p to the mix as well.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Only ever gone as far as 720p, depends on the job though. Most are done to pal, 1024x576.

Been experimenting with doing our PAL dvd's in progressive too, which works suprisingly well.

Comment

NTSC, 720p here almost always.
        Colin Senner

Comment

we do most of our stuff for computer, but sometimes end up compiling a DVD later. So we actually render 648x480 square pixels, which scales perfectly to 720x480 NTSC. Some people say it's 640x480, but they are wrong. lol
          Seriously though, do the math, if that's what you do it will be 648, not 640.

You take a little quality hit when you stretch it for DVD, but it's not too bad.

We also use 720 30fps. We found our clients don't know the difference if we show them full 720p which is 60fps.

Comment

false pal 1024X576 or true pal 720X576 (16:9)

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
            Only ever gone as far as 720p, depends on the job though. Most are done to pal, 1024x576.

Been experimenting with doing our PAL dvd's in progressive too, which works suprisingly well.
            hmmm for pal you render square pixel 1024X576?
            I thought that wastes render time as in any editing package it scales it anyway down to 720X576 non-square pixel(16:9). So when rendering you should render to 720X576 with image aspect of 1.778 and pixel aspect of 1.422 which gives you non-square pixel and perfect for your editing app. When played on dvd it takes the non-square pixels and stretches it so it looks like it is 1024X576 but it is actualy not.
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

As well as a dvd though, we usually give another copy of animations on a data dvd to the client for presentations, which plays at the full 1024x576.

Well over half our clients do a lot of the playback on laptops and through projectors initially, the dvd is then just given out later on down the line. I shouldve said that in my first post really because I can see why you questioned it.

We just render the whole thing without fields and encode the dvd as progressive after all is done, so long as you've got motion blur on it looks fine on tv's. Keeps every step of the production quite similar, and not having to use fields is so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
                As well as a dvd though, we usually give another copy of animations on a data dvd to the client for presentations, which plays at the full 1024x576.
                But then these 1024X576 is just normal video files like wmv or mov I take it that can be played by any pc that just happens to be on a data dvd, but it is not actualy in "video" dvd format - is that correct?
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Working...
                X