real time material change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real time material change

I know it is ..hum hum... other package related, (that's why i'm in the take 5 section)

http://randomcontrol.com/index.php?o...d=61&Itemid=88

The bad thing, it is sold as an other product. But it is quite a nice feature
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

It almost makes the setup time and wait for the initial rendering worth it...almost
    Ben Steinert
    pb2ae.com

Comment

It is quite limiting from what I know... you need to determine in advance which object/material will be changed; you can't replace with transparent/glass materials; the object needs to be in focus (no DOF); and you have to wait as long as a normal render for each object you want to change.

I'm not arguing that being able to quickly preview/change materials is very useful, and we hope that we will have a much better solution for this in the end.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I am certain VRayRT will be more useful. SWAP also cannot handle displaced(MPDM) materials.

VRayRT is zero setup, correct? It doesn't care if you change your geometry either? It will be a breakthrough for sure.

Ben Steinert
        pb2ae.com

Comment

There is also no anisotropy, no SSS, and no opacity (I believe it means as distinct from 'transparency' - like alpha maps etc.). The upside would be that this can be done at full res and detail, so where it works it could be a huge time saver.

I think RT will be a much more useful solution in the end though - SWAP is *only* for materials.

b
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
          e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

well yes, I must admit this swap thing doesn't impress me much. a bit annoying this sort of trend of current unbiased renderers to market even the smallest feature in big bold characters, as if they all were milestones along the way of digital revolution. but this is rather by the by.
            as you already pointed out, vray rt should be on a whole other level, at least from what I've seen so far (not much unfortunately).

Comment

Swap is ok but its also very limiting. It looks nice on the surface, but its not as easy as it looks in the videos. There is so much setup to be done initially.
              Chris Jackson
              Shiftmedia
              www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Hi everyone, this is my first post!

Vlado, do you think you could use this approach? Maybe it is possible to find a way to define a structure of all "random" solutions like GI in a render (which are defined once the render is made). Then vray could use that structure to change only parts of solution that are connected with a particular change. I'm not so deep in all the stuff behind rendering, just a thought..

Comment

It looks really awesome and i'm not surprised theres a lot of setup to do. Right now I do a similar thing with masks and photoshop. Just sit down with the architect/interior designer, etc. and do quick tweaks and then do them properly in Max.

Comment

Working...
                  X