Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backburner texture paths

Hi guys,

Im sending up a scene file to a render farm at a clients office. Obviously the texture paths are set to my local network before sending. Im just wondering what you think the best way to get the backburner scene to see the texture files on the clients shared folder.

I am currently sending up the scene and then editing settings from within the monitor for that job and adding an alternative network path for the textures (pointing at the shared location in the clients office).

I would like to keep the local scene file texture paths pointing at my local network in case of any changes or alterations to the file are necessary, hence the reason for the above process. If there are better ways to do this can someone elighten me...
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

easiest is just to have all the maps in the same folder as the max file

Edit: nevermind, I suppose that does not work with backburner...
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

I would copy them to the network folder and use that as the sole point for the textures. Managing 2 versions of textures in different locations is way too difficult.

Here is what you can do to relink them.

Goto File->Asset Tracking, highlight all the bitmaps and right-click, click "Strip Path"

then you can use this script to relink them to the shared folder.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/relink-bitmaps

-Colin
      Colin Senner

Comment

You can also use the Asset Tracker itself to set the path to anything you like.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yeah, I was using asset tracker originally, but because I am setting the paths over a vpn connection it is really slow and very frustrating having to do that every time for each render.
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I wonder if you could set up a local DFS path, and a DFS path usign the same name in the clients office. Somthing like //GROUP/Files/Assets. We use DFS pathing instead of UNC in our office. This means that if we need to move the assets library to a different server, it is seemless, because it is always the same. This may be more of a pain than it worth.

Comment

If you have the necessary bandwidth you could always just tick the "include maps" in the network render dialog box. Right, or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do?
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Yeah, I did think about that too, but the maps are large and that would take even longer.

Im not exactly sure whats going on but the max file seems to be able to find the textures even though its not pointing to them on the network share. I didnt even edit the backburner job and add an alternative path for bitmaps. Not sure whats going on there, but its working...
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                X