Render Hidden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render Hidden

Anyone know of a tool/plugin/workflow/etc that would allow me to turn off certain objects from the viewport but still have them show up at rendertime? I've got a lot of backround trees/buildings/cars that really slow down the display, even in box mode, but I don't want to keep turning on and off for renders.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

In the "Common"-tab just check "Render hidden geometry". If you have objects that are hidden AND shall not be rendered set to "renderable" > off.

Comment

Yeah I forgot about that but I also have hidden items in the scene that I don't want rendered. Guess I'll just have to clear things out. Thanks.
      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I guess that could be rather easily done by sticking them into a selection set and write a pre-render script to undhide it and a postrender script to hide it

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

Just turn them off "renderable" in object properties?
          Colin Senner

Comment

That should do it. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

That's exactly the opposite no ?? i thought you wanted them OFF in the viewport and ON in the rendering ?

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
                That's exactly the opposite no ?? i thought you wanted them OFF in the viewport and ON in the rendering ?
                That'll teach to refresh more often! I had it sitting open and I was responding to your suggestion earlier not to Colin's suggestion.

BTW: the option I just discovered is I "save selected" all of the background objects to a new sceen and then xref'd them back in. Leaving it "enabled" but unchecking "Visible" works even better as I was getting viewport performance hit just from all of the objects being in the scene, even if they were hidden. Using the xref and everythings speedy again.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonDoggie View Post
                  Just turn them off "renderable" in object properties?
                  Yeah, like I said before !?!

Originally posted by Sascha Selent View Post
                  In the "Common"-tab just check "Render hidden geometry". If you have objects that are hidden AND shall not be rendered set to "renderable" > off.

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                  xref'd them back in. Leaving it "enabled" but unchecking "Visible"
                  This only works with XRefed scenes. I rather use XRef-objects, so that I can place them wherever I like. And this way you can do the workflow:

Comment

You could use layers. You would have seperate options for visibility and renderability per layer for whatever combination you are needing.

EDIT: But you would still have to use the "render hidden geometry" option.
                    Ben Steinert
                    pb2ae.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sascha Selent View Post
                      This only works with XRefed scenes. I rather use XRef-objects, so that I can place them wherever I like. And this way you can do the workflow:

I don't need to edit them any more so the xref scene is working great for me. What I don't understand is why I was getting a viewport performance hit when I had the objects hidden. The background objects were mostly proxies (on the order of ~4000 trees and bushes). Regardless, setting them up as an invisible xref scene is working just like I want it too.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                      X