Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dosch cars

Hi guys,

I recently advised a client to purchase Dosch cars 2007. The 3dsmax9 vray1.5 version. They have example renders of the cars on the cars 2007 page. After downloading the cars and doing a render from scratch in vray the cars look nothing like the renders on the advertised page.

http://www.doschdesign.com/products/3d/Cars_2007.html

I have sent Dosch an email complaining about this and hope to get a reply soon. Im not very happy. Have any of you had any issues with Dosch products ? I thought they were supposed to be pretty good.

I dont think the client is going to be too happy now that I have to spend time setting up materials and lighting for a scene that is supposed to already be set up.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

well it says it's textured, but they don't say they give you their scene. They are probably using an HDR image there, or a different lighting setup than you have.
    Not to stick up for them too much because I usually don't like their products much.

Comment

But the purchased version was 3dsmax 9 and vray 1.5. Wouldnt you think that the materials etc would all be setup. Whats the point in stating vray 1.5 if it isnt setup for it. I would also say that the example renders on their website should reflect what you buy in the package.

Does anyone recommend any other websites with car scenes..very photoreal and setup for vray already ? I need a realistic car to display a clients product.
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

not sure.
        I'm battling trying to do all this stuff legally right now.
        Having troubles getting companies to contact me back about multi-user licenses.

If you actually read the license agreement, and we are carefully doing that because in desperate times people tend to get law suite happy for anything they can find, it states that you can only use it on one computer for one person without purchasing a multi-user account. Technically, if you store it on a server, but open a copy of it on your own machine you're already in a grey area. I'd rather they not put that in the license at all, but since it's there i have to follow the rules I guess.

Comment

EDIT: You say car "scenes." Do you also need a set to render the car within?

Here are some good car model sites, but I do not believe they come with a set to render them in:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cgdatabank.com&sl=ja& tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://www.sugar3d.com/

http://www.axyzdesign.com/axyz-design-3d-cars-textured-models-collection1.php

I know there are more out there, but I know the first two should be pretty good just because they are willing to show you wires of every model. Not sure how you would purchase from the japanese cgdatabank...but the cars are priced at 1575 yen, which converts to about $16 US.

I have heard the axyz models are pretty decent, and the fact that mesh density is controlled by a turbosmooth mod tells me that the models are built well.

EDIT2: Not sure I would take the chance on CGdatabank if you are needing out of the box great renders with VRay. You would probably be much better served by axyz and sugar3D in that regard. They all do have samples, so you can see if they would meet your needs any better than Dosch.
          Last edited by beestee; 24-02-2009, 03:12 PM.
          Ben Steinert
          pb2ae.com

Comment

I would agree with you that if they state that the models are "Vray Ready", the models should come with a set of Vray multimats. Sometimes the decision to purchase a product comes down to whether of not it will be immediatly usuable upon purchase and in your case, it's not.

Comment

Thanks for those links. Ive sent the axyz link and a turbosquid link to the client. Im more inclined to go for the axyz stuff as with turbosquid you sometimes dont get what you expect..

Ive purchased some dosch studio atmosphere hdri's so im hoping they will do the job...should be quite good for the car shots.
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I bought Dosch cars a while ago, and had to re do all materials to convert them to VRay. I don't remember seeing this note:
                "The completely textured 3D-models are provided in multiple file formats: 3DS, 3dsmax (version 8 and above), 3dsmax V9 and VRay V1.5"

I would assume that means the file has VRay materials?

The glass was what gave me the most problem, when converting the materials. Apart from that, they worked great.

Comment

I bought from Jacobo at Arte 3D and found the model excellent, particularly for the price. Very reasonable for a stock model.

http://www.arte-3d.com/

His site appears to be down atm, but check him out. I'm pretty sure the car came setup with Max standard materials, but I redid them all anyway.

Never tried Dosch cars.

b
                  Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                  e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

The evermotion ones are already set up for vray and render fairly well.

So what did you get with the dosch cars, no materials at all?

Comment

After checking the dosch files it kind of varied from scene to scene. No max files had any floorplane or hdri to light the car. Some cars had vray materials, some had just standard materials. Some of the colours of the cars didnt match the colours that were on the website. Some materials, like the tyres were not even there. The texture map was in the directory, but the tyres were completely the wrong shader.

I personally think though, even if they dont say it, that the product bought should represent the product advertised. I think its a weak argument to say, "it didnt say that on the webpage". If it doesnt say that on the webpage then it should be stated that example imagery does not represent the products purchased.
                      I personally wouldnt advertise anything that could be misleading without text explaining that to the buyer.
                      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by simmsimaging View Post
                        I bought from Jacobo at Arte 3D and found the model excellent, particularly for the price. Very reasonable for a stock model.

http://www.arte-3d.com/

His site appears to be down atm, but check him out. I'm pretty sure the car came setup with Max standard materials, but I redid them all anyway.

Never tried Dosch cars.

b
                        I hope the site gets up and running again soon...that home page image looks pretty good quality.
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                        X